Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Option is better in this economy? Pay off Cards or Preserve Cash

Message Edited by fender on 01-29-2009 07:23 PM
Message 52 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I don't know about that! The degree of value that a relative places on another relative's credit standing can't be measured by whether or not they ask/allow them to co-sign a loan. As a matter of fact, having a co-signer would make some people feel the weight of responsibility all the more, simply because someone elses credit is at stake. Needing a co-signer doesn't in any way mean that the degree of care or concern is lessened.

The very first car that I purchased (myself) after graduating from college was co-signed by my father. It was my first major purchase, and I had no open credit lines (no baddies either, just none open) at that time. So, I *needed* a co-signer to buy the car. My father would have made any payments that I couldn't make, with nary a complaint had it come to that. But, because he was a co-signer, I was not going to miss any payments, and I didn't. I also paid the car off earlier than I might have if I didn't have someone elses fate tied to mine. I valued his stellar credit rating more than I valued my own, because of his willingness to go out on a limb for me.

Like Woopah, had I run into trouble, I would have forgone a whole lot of stuff, and taken hits to my other obligations before I allowed that car note to go unpaid.

@Anonymous wrote:
If you cared THAT much about his credit, you wouldnt have put him at risk by having him co-sign for you.  Your situation is MUCH easier.

Message 53 of 70
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Should OP have absolutely no other recourse in an emergency, meaning if you cannot in a desperate situation go to a friend or family member, nor can you not readily replace your income (this may sound condesending - I don't want it to - but is it that hard to replace $10 per hour through some combo of unemployment and sidework or just getting another job?

depending on where you live, YES, it absolutely can be THAT hard.

where i live, NOBODY pays you anywhere near $10 an hour.  if you are making $7, you're doing great.  so while people in your neck of the woods may easily be expecting to get paid $10/hr, that is not the case for all of us.

that is not even taking into account the fact that you have to GET the job first.

That is exactly what we are dealing with. DH works in non-profit ministry and is on "financial leave" due to lack of funding. So he has taken a paper route and been looking for a 3rd job for months. He has only gotten two interviews. The first was a $7 an hour job that he did not get. (The last time he made that low of a wage was more than 20 years ago!) The second is to wait tables and he has interviewed twice and is still waiting on an answer. (They expressed concern about how overqualified he is but he thought he had handled that issue pretty well in the interview.)

It has only been God and the generosity of others that has been getting us through the past several months. We want nothing more than to meet our obligations, pay down our debt and start saving for the future.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 54 of 70
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
If you cared THAT much about his credit, you wouldnt have put him at risk by having him co-sign for you.  Your situation is MUCH easier.

As I said, I do CARE that much because I'll starve to death before I stop paying it, and rack all my credits up if I have to again.  

I'm not going to keep doing this.  You're so sure that your life is so much harder just because you have kids and others don't.  Whatever.

Fender, Woopah, we are all on the same side! Please play nice!

I think all of us get into trouble when we play the "who has it worse or harder" game. For instance, I lost a parent and a sibling to cancer 18 months apart but my grief and loss is neither less nor more than that of another who experiences some kind of loss. 

Times are hard for so many of us; let us encourage each other and spur each other onto "good deeds" and financial success (or at least improvement!).

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 55 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by fender on 01-29-2009 07:23 PM
Message 56 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with both of you as well. Where I live, it is getting downright frightening for people who are losing their jobs. The unemployment rate is sky high (one of the highest in the nation), and there are simply very few opportunities to quickly transition to another job. "Another job" is becoming a rarity. And, with people unable to sell their homes, moving out of the area is not as simple as some people would like to believe. And just walking away from their obligations here would severely limit their prospects of finding work elsewhere. The area in which I live is largely supported by a single industry. The fallout from the economy has devastated the region. I have neighbors who have been let go from six figure jobs last year, who thought that their savings would carry them through to the next opportunity. They didn't count on that the "next opportunity" wouldn't materialize for more than a year. Well educated, and highly-skilled people can't even get an interview at the local supermarket. There are no jobs to just get.

A job paying $8-12/hour would be a godsend for some people right now. Even people for whom it would represent a significant pay cut. Jobs that came a dime a dozen 2-3 years ago, with high turnover have just dried up. The people who have them are holding on with both hands. The people who desperately need them are out of luck.

Message 57 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by woopah on 01-29-2009 07:19 PM
Message 58 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by fender on 01-29-2009 07:21 PM
Message 59 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by woopah on 01-29-2009 07:35 PM
Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.