Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Option is better in this economy? Pay off Cards or Preserve Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Option is better in this economy? Pay off Cards or Preserve Cash

I wonder if the OP realised the can of worms he was going to be opening?   Smiley Surprised
Message 41 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah - this is good stuff.  I don't think in any other time during my life, this would even be a discussion, you would pay the debt first.  Boy the economy sucks right now.
Message 42 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that paying down/off any debt that charges you interest is generally priority #1, and is the responsible thing to do, although the current economy may dictate otherwise in some people's circumstances.  If you have a family, significant monthly expenses (mortgage, etc), no savings, and for some reason you knew you wouldn't have a job in, say, 3 months, I could understand entering into surivival mode and just saving every dime you could during that time.  Such action should be temporary, and one should learn/resume responsible saving as soon afterward as feasible.  

One of my good friends had a severe slowdown in his business, followed by a medical emergency that still has him unable to work.  He actually stopped paying his credit cards over 6 months ago, because he didn't have enough to pay both his mortgage and the cards.  Obviously his credit is trashed, and at this point he's just hoping not to lose his house, which would probably destroy his marriage.  He understands that people like him bear much of the blame for the current credit crisis, but he's just trying to weather the storm and rebuild as much of his life as he can preserve.  

Message 43 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do feel for people in that type of situation.  I will say that this reinforces that you need to have your life together way before you think about the dream house, the dream car and the dream TV.  If nothing else, I hope we all learn that/teach that to our kids. 
Message 44 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by woopah on 01-29-2009 07:22 PM
Message 45 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by fender on 01-29-2009 07:24 PM
Message 46 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by woopah on 01-29-2009 07:21 PM
Message 47 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 48 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by woopah on 01-29-2009 07:21 PM
Message 49 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 50 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.