Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PenFed Card: Travel Amex vs Visa Platinum Signature

tag
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Which PenFed Card: Travel Amex vs Visa Platinum Signature

I have a choice of two penfed cards. Either the Travel Amex or the Visa Platinum Signature card. Both offers have the exact same CL, APR etc. I already have 5% CB so that is not an option. I know there is a lot of experience here with penfed. Which offer should I accept? 

The Travel Rewards has a 20000 bonus, but earns only 1pt/dollar afterwards. Also, I'm not sure what the redemptions are like. The Visa currently earns 5pts at gas pumps and 3pts at grocery stores till April. Will revert to 3pts and 2pts after promo. 

What would you guys do?

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Which PenFed Card: Travel Amex vs Visa Platinum Signature

@shols44 wrote:

What would you guys do?

I wouldn't bother with either (and that's why I only have their Platinum Cash Rewards card) but that's the problem with polling others who have different preferences and priorities.  You need to tell us more about you if you want us to suggest which might be a better fit for you.   Experience doesn't really matter here.  Your needs/wants/goals/preferences/priorities do.  Are you simply responding to their offer or did somehow narrow it down to these two without a clear understanding of what you need/want from your next card?

Message 2 of 4
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Responding to their offer. This is the first time penfed offered me anything. It'm sort of glad to be getting in with them. 

To be honest, I don't have any grand plans for this card. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the redemptions are like for both and what experiences people have with them. I have most of my travel covered with a 2x card, but if I wouldn't turn down a 5x travel card if the redemeptions make sense. I already have a 5% CB on gas card. If not I would be asking for the cash rewards card instead. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

The Travel Rewards card earns 5 points per dollar spent on airfare, and 1 point otherwise.

This is a good deal if you fly a lot, otherwise not.

I don't know how much the points are worth on the redemption side.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.