Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Secured Credit Card Suits me?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Secured Credit Card Suits me?

Call PSECU and see if you can join them.  But definitely use your Pittsburgh address.  I wish I was eligible to join them.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Secured Credit Card Suits me? - Star one

The problem with all popular CUs is that I should either have a blood relative in the institution or my workplace/school should have some kind of tie up. Since I have neither, even I am not eligible for the PSECU Visa Card. Anyway, I looked up Star One CU and I feel like it offers a good deal. What do you guys think about it? 

Message 12 of 30
Crashem
Valued Contributor

You are eligible for PSECU by joining Parks and Rec Society and live in PA.  That was the loophole everyone was using until they closed it by restricting to PA residents only.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Some other options to consider if CU doesn't work out.

US Bank offers secured cards that are co-branded with several airlines.    If you travel on one of these airlines, they would be a good choice. 

Capital One is good choice for secured card.  No Foreign transaction fee.   It won;t graduate, but it can help get a better card with them.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest Cap 1 Secured

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you guys think about student credit cards like Discover Student Card etc? Any takers for that? Any reviews/comments/experiences?

Message 16 of 30
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Capital One has an unsecured "Newcomers" credit card which is pretty easy to get if you have a short history. You can try for that one first if anything.

That or the Journey student card (the red one).

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 17 of 30
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

i would say apply for cap one secured. the process is simply and it has a small annual fee that comes with it. if you want to raise the cl its simple and easy using your own money. do you have any family active military or roomates family SOMETHING with navy federal credit union? bank of america also has a good secured card (i have this one) but you may get denied for it and have to try and recon the decision. When i had zero credit history I started with 3 secured cards and it cost 1,000 to get all 3 started and i must say they have served their purpose

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 18 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

i would say apply for cap one secured. the process is simply and it has a small annual fee that comes with it. if you want to raise the cl its simple and easy using your own money. do you have any family active military or roomates family SOMETHING with navy federal credit union? bank of america also has a good secured card (i have this one) but you may get denied for it and have to try and recon the decision. When i had zero credit history I started with 3 secured cards and it cost 1,000 to get all 3 started and i must say they have served their purpose

I also started rebuilding with 3 secured cards with limits from $1000 to $2200.   I think more than 2 is overkill for op.   I think big limits on fewer secured card is more advantageous.  

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you very much for the advice. I was looking up credit unions and there are generally complaints about how they are not all that tech savy and often people end up contacting them for help.Do you think that could be a hassle? Especially given the fact that I am generally an internet person and hate to go to the banks to get my stuff done. I don't even own a  car so I am looking for CU that have a stable and good online banking system. Please let me know about this

Also I would need to know how long it might take to get a CC from these CUs?

I can't speak for the credit union sin your area, but mine has a great online banking interface that is easy to navigate and even has an app on my blackberry.  I also rave about US Bank and Regions Bank online banking.  Both are simple, easy to navigate, allows me to do everything (including deposits) without ever setting foot in my bank.  Now my credit union allows me to do everything BUT deposits online.  They don't have the check deposit via online banking YET, but my CU is working on adding that feature in the next few months.

I have found that every credit union I have ever been a member of has been very friendly and helpful.  They are willing to answer any questions, so give one you would qualify to join a call, explain your needs and see if what they offer might be a good fit.  

If I were you I would exhaust the CU options in my area first.  If none of those met my needs, I would go US Bank, BOA, or a community bank that offers a secured card that graduates to unsecured AND meets your online banking requirements!  Good luck and happy researching!

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.