Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Secured Credit Card is best?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Secured Credit Card is best?

I am trying to find a good secured credit card to rebuild my scores, but all of the best ones that I find seem to require you to open a bank account. So, the three that I have found that seem to be the best contenders for me personally are as follows:

BankAmericard Fully Secured Visa
Orchard Bank Secured Mastercard
First Progress Platinum Secured Mastercard

I know that Capital One Secured Card is #1 right now, but seeing as to how it is the next debt on my report that I need to pay off, I don't think that they will approve me. ha. Anyway. Obviously I am just terrified of making the wrong decision, so I want to hear/read personal reviews regarding these before I make any decisions. Do you (or anyone you know) have any good or bad experience with any of the three that I have listed? Good/bad customer service? Did/didn't report monthly? Any advice is good advice. Thanks!

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Secured Credit Card is best?

Heh, I certainly don't consider Cap One to be the best secured card, but that somewhat depends on your needs.

The big thing on any secured card is that it reports to all three bureaus.

The second is whether or not it graduates

The third is if you can increaes your limit easily over time if you you desire to do that.

You're probably going to want two anyway, I'd skip FP, and probably Orchard secured in favor of BOFA as one, and either C1, USAA, or any other lender which reports to all three.  NFCU (if you have access) is an excellent choice and perhaps the best overall, Citi is another possibility but not as many people here have used their product for me to get a good opinion of them as I haven't tried them personally.

        
Message 2 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to find a good secured credit card to rebuild my scores, but all of the best ones that I find seem to require you to open a bank account. So, the three that I have found that seem to be the best contenders for me personally are as follows:

I know that Capital One Secured Card is #1 right now, but seeing as to how it is the next debt on my report that I need to pay off, I don't think that they will approve me. ha. Anyway. Obviously I am just terrified of making the wrong decision, so I want to hear/read personal reviews regarding these before I make any decisions. Do you (or anyone you know) have any good or bad experience with any of the three that I have listed? Good/bad customer service? Did/didn't report monthly? Any advice is good advice. Thanks!

Cap1 is very forgiving, you should try them 1st!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 31
namvet
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Heh, I certainly don't consider Cap One to be the best secured card, but that somewhat depends on your needs.

The big thing on any secured card is that it reports to all three bureaus.

The second is whether or not it graduates

The third is if you can increaes your limit easily over time if you you desire to do that.

You're probably going to want two anyway, I'd skip FP, and probably Orchard secured in favor of BOFA as one, and either C1, USAA, or any other lender which reports to all three.  NFCU (if you have access) is an excellent choice and perhaps thne best overall, Citi is another possibility but not as many people here have used their product for me to get a good opinion of them as I haven't tried them personally.

I agree with #1 and #3 Revelate.  Your #2 recomemdation doesn't matter IMO.  Use the secured card to establish/re-build for 1 year then you can graduate yourself to a un-secured card.  FP you don't want.  Orchard maybe.  Best bet is to use a card where you have a banking relationship.  If you can't get a banking relationship due to chex systems etc then try Open Sky Visa (no credit check).

Message 4 of 31
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BofA is probably the best but hardest to qualify for.    I would apply for it first, but not be suprised if declined.

Since you don't want to deal with Capital One,  you should skip Orchard as it will soon be owned by Capital One.

First Progress has reasonable terms (AF $39, grace period), so it is probably OK.  

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bank at Regions, and they don't offer secured cards. As far as C1 being forgiving- I highly doubt that they will forgive the fact that I owe them over 1k. haha Even if I did want to give them a go and just try to find out, I don't want to risk the hard inquiry. I'm trying to fix my scores, not damage them further.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 31
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

As already mentioned, Open Sky doesn't do a credit check for their secured card. Not a bad option. Smiley Happy

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Sky is no longer available. Cat Sad

Message 9 of 31
namvet
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Open Sky is no longer available. Cat Sad

Yes it is AFincher.   Here's the link:  www.openskycc.com 

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.