Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Venture card is better to you?

tag
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

Which Venture card is better to you?

I've been looking into getting my first airline card. I have done a bunch of looking around to see whoever has the best deal. I'm stuck on my decision right now. The capital one venture and venture one card have seen to be the best overall cards to me. However, if anyone here I'm the forum has one that they would recommend... I am all ears Smiley Wink! Mainly I would go with the venture one becuase I don't heavily spend on my credit cards, but would it be worth it? I plan to do much traveling to Mexico soon!

Thanks again!!
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
casemodgod
Established Member

Re: Which Venture card is better to you?

Pretty simple math on this one.

If you keep the card for 1 year (364 days, assuming you have to pay the AF of $59)

The Venture pays 2 miles per dollar, and since they are worth 1 penny each, you are

gaining an extra .75 miles per dollar.  

If you put $500/mo through your cards you end up with this:

12 months use

==============

Venture One:  7,500 miles $0 AF and 20,000 bonus miles, grand total of 27,500 miles or roughly $275 

Venture:  12,000 miles, $59 AF, and 40,000 bonus miles, grand total of 52,000 miles or roughly $520.  

You pay $59 for essentially another $200 or so in rewards.  

But you only have to pay that if you go beyond the 12 months, so for the first year, its a no brainer that

its the Venture card.  

Beyond 1 year, if your spending stays the same, you're getting $75 vs $125 in rewards and paying $60 to do that.

So you're losing money past year 1.  

Therefore, if you keep it beyond 1 year and don't request a removal of the AF, the Venture will be outclassed in about

3 years time, zeroing out the benefits of it with AF charges.

Message 2 of 12
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Since you are getting 2 miles per dollar, doesn't $7500 of spending = 15,000 miles = $150?  I think the comparison between the two would be the same ...

Message 3 of 12
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, there is no reason at all to apply for the Venture One. The Venture One gives 1.25 miles per dollar spent, with each mile being a cent towards travel, which means 1.25% cash back. The Quicksilver card gives 1.5% cash back for every dollar spent. The Quicksilver and Ventire One both have no AF, but the Quicksilver offers a higher return redeemable towards anything.

Message 4 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Honestly, there is no reason at all to apply for the Venture One. The Venture One gives 1.25 miles per dollar spent, with each mile being a cent towards travel, which means 1.25% cash back. The Quicksilver card gives 1.5% cash back for every dollar spent. The Quicksilver and Ventire One both have no AF, but the Quicksilver offers a higher return redeemable towards anything.

+1 !  Stop thinking of Venture (and Arrival for the matter) as miles,they are simply restricted cash back cards.   QS is better than Venture One, and, except for no FTF which can be handled by other cards, things like Citi Double Cash are better than Venture (unrestricted 2%, no AF)

Message 5 of 12
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

+1 !  Stop thinking of Venture (and Arrival for the matter) as miles,they are simply restricted cash back cards.   QS is better than Venture One, and, except for no FTF which can be handled by other cards, things like Citi Double Cash are better than Venture (unrestricted 2%, no AF)

+2 ... QS is superior to the Venture One in every way.  

Message 6 of 12
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

+1 ..it is not really an airline card but cash back on travel purchase..so my votes also go to the no AF QS Visa with 1,5% on everything ..easy redemption Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I will agree with the others. the travel rewards cards are almost always inferior to  unrestricted cash back cards except for a few. . The arrival card has the points back on redemptions, and the BoA travel rewards card has the relationship bonus. 

Message 8 of 12
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

What's BOA rewards card offering right now?
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 9 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
What's BOA rewards card offering right now?

BoA travel card is 1.5% back, with a 10000 points ($100) signup bonus, as well as their customer relationship bonuses. 

Rewards bonuses

10% to 75%
As a Bank of America customer, you can earn an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase when you have an active Bank of America account.
If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards client, you could increase that bonus to 25% to 75%
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.