cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which are the 'best' store cards for rebuilding?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which are the 'best' store cards for rebuilding?

I wasn't sure to post this in the "rebuilding" section or here, so I arbitrarily chose here. :-)

I am trying to rebuild my credit as I have lived out of the country for several years and was wondering if acquiring a store charge card would behoove me? And if so which is the best to apply for? I don't know the criteria/min score for any of them, so any information and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

Re: Which are the 'best' store cards for rebuilding?

Based on your scores I would recommend Target. My mother had scores similar to yours and they approved her. Beware though, they are stingy with credit limits and RARELY increase the limit on the account. Some are stuck with a 200.00 limit. Another card you would probably be approved for is the Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard...go to www.rewardzonemastercard.com just keep in mind both of these cards have high interest. You can also try fingerhut, maybe jc penney....good luck to you.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Actually a $200 Target card would be perfect, I spend that at Target every month anyway, I could just pay it off every month!  I just dont' want to get too many enquiries going. I managed to get a car loan and am current with that and an HSBC Visa with a $300 limit, I'm hoping one more card that shows good payment will help.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just applied for target. They denied me. They do not like collections, especially unpaid collections. Be careful with that one. GEMB is a lot more lenient when it comes to collections.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB?

Message 5 of 19
Datx
Valued Contributor

GEMB = GE Money Bank.

GEMB didnt like me when I tried for a walmart card a few weeks back. I did get approved for a HSBC BBRZ MC card with a $300 limit and no AF.

Message 6 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

GEMB.

if you have unpaid collections, don't let that be the only criteria that keeps you from applying for the target card.  my unpaid collections were a lot more recent when i applied, & i still got approved.  good luck!

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting - which bank does Target use?

Message 8 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

target issues its own cards through target national bank.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they give you a $200 limit, I wouldn't spend $200 on it unless you know when they are going to report to the CRA so that it doesn't look like you max your credit cards out.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.