Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which bank should I bank with??

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Which bank should I bank with??

Okay SOOOO I might get a job as a receptionist or housekeeping at a Holiday Inn. Gonna go tomorrow to talk with the manager(fingers crossed). So I wanted to ask who should I bank with? I  have as local banks Citi, BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, US Bank. Or a CU?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Which bank should I bank with??

Ill check in with you guys tomorrow. Goodnight!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 74
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Okay SOOOO I might get a job as a receptionist or housekeeping at a Holiday Inn. Gonna go tomorrow to talk with the manager(fingers crossed). So I wanted to ask who should I bank with? I  have as local banks Citi, BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, US Bank. Or a CU?

That depends...although I would say pick the bank you'd like the closest relationship with, also pick a bank you'd liek to stick with long term. Are you in/going to college? If so, a student account would be fantastic for you! If you're not, and considering you're going for your first job, picking a bank/CU with a low minimum monthly balance would likely be best!

Message 3 of 74
Elcid89
Contributor

If you qualify, I'd highly suggest joining Navy Federal. If not, a credit union is usually a better option for your primary banking IMO if you have a simple banking relationship.

Once you progress up to needing multiple types of relationships (banking, wealth management, etc.) then you can start worrying about selecting the best firm for each purpose.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 74
john398
Senior Contributor

Chase could be helpful

Message 5 of 74
Elcid89
Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Chase could be helpful

Chase is bad about nickel and diming mass-market account holders to death, IMO.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I would choose an internet bank, better rates and less fees.  Large number of pretty good ones out there.

Message 7 of 74
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

I love banking with Chase!! They have a very nice website to manage your accounts online and They've been really good with me... I also have a CU Checking account but i mainly use Chase for my banking needs..
Message 8 of 74
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

Key bank and I think Fidelity bank can't remember are offering $200 for new customers if you direct deposit so much within a certain time period. The Fidelity one I saw on a billboard about a month ago. Key Bank I saw somewhere just a day or two ago. Otherwise NFCU if you can get in.

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 74
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Most banks are good about not nickel and diming students.

For example chase will waive monthly fee's for 5 years. 

Or, if you have military relations, the big banks are great in that regard. They will permanently waive fee's for top tier accounts.

Otherwise as mentioned, credit unions will be the way to go for a basic account.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.