cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which banks allow alternate billing/shipping addresses?

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Which banks allow alternate billing/shipping addresses?

I don't run into this often but there are a few instances where I want to order something and have it delivered to work only to find that the seller will only ship to a billing address that is verified with the card issuer.  Short of changing a credit card billing address to my office (and have it appear on my credit report), does anyone have experience with knowing which banks/issuers permit more than one address (i.e. an alternate billing address) on file?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Which banks allow alternate billing/shipping addresses?

I doubt it is a bank issue. More likely just a merchant issue.

One way around it is to open a PO Box and have all your bills sent there. Then the shipment address has to be a physical address.

The downside to this is, you have to trudge to the Post Office every day or so to pick up your mail....

I've not had issues with telling the on line merchant what my billing address is for the credit card, and then arranging a different shipping address. Most modern merchants on line have this capability. Say, for example, the person who has all their card statements going to a PO Box...

If the bank did allow multiple "billing addresses" it would only be a matter of time before they boloxed it up and sent your monthly credit card statement to your work address after you left that job, then you'd end up with a late payment and that's not good. So multiple billing addresses = Not Good in my estimation Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I doubt it is a bank issue. More likely just a merchant issue.

One way around it is to open a PO Box and have all your bills sent there. Then the shipment address has to be a physical address.

The downside to this is, you have to trudge to the Post Office every day or so to pick up your mail....

I've not had issues with telling the on line merchant what my billing address is for the credit card, and then arranging a different shipping address. Most modern merchants on line have this capability. Say, for example, the person who has all their card statements going to a PO Box...

If the bank did allow multiple "billing addresses" it would only be a matter of time before they boloxed it up and sent your monthly credit card statement to your work address after you left that job, then you'd end up with a late payment and that's not good. So multiple billing addresses = Not Good in my estimation Smiley Happy

All of my bills are delivered electronically via e-mail, so a physical address is not an issue.  I did try changing the billing address for one card but started to get pre-approval mailings at the office, so I changed back.  The tax rate is also more favorable at my office (in another state), especially for digital purchases (which don't allow for a shipping address to be entered).

Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I do understand your issue... I also have a billing address in one state yet spend quite a bit of time in another.

What I did is get my out-of-state address confirmed to my Paypal account, then I set that as the default address for my Paypal debit MasterCard.  It's not the perfect answer, but for those few occasions where it's a problem to have a billing address in one state and a delivery address in another I simply use the Paypal debit MasterCard to make it a moot point.  This way I don't have to be concerned with the second address being reported to the credit bureaus (and creating a verification headache when I apply for new accounts).

I also learned to always check Amazon first when I need something delivered to my non-billing address, since they don't care as long as you're able to provide the billing address (or at least they never have so far...)

Message 4 of 9
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I do understand your issue... I also have a billing address in one state yet spend quite a bit of time in another.

What I did is get my out-of-state address confirmed to my Paypal account, then I set that as the default address for my Paypal debit MasterCard.  It's not the perfect answer, but for those few occasions where it's a problem to have a billing address in one state and a delivery address in another I simply use the Paypal debit MasterCard to make it a moot point.  This way I don't have to be concerned with the second address being reported to the credit bureaus (and creating a verification headache when I apply for new accounts).

I also learned to always check Amazon first when I need something delivered to my non-billing address, since they don't care as long as you're able to provide the billing address (or at least they never have so far...)

I like the Paypal idea but the debit card seems to be only available for business accounts (maybe it wasn't in the past).  I also added the address and it didn't give me an option to have it verified.

Maybe I'll have to look into Bluebird or something.

Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MASTERNC wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I like the Paypal idea but the debit card seems to be only available for business accounts (maybe it wasn't in the past).  I also added the address and it didn't give me an option to have it verified.

Maybe I'll have to look into Bluebird or something.

Yeah, the debit card is referred to as a 'business debit' but it's available to individuals as well (you don't even have to "pretend" to have a business). I recall years ago they prompted me to 'upgrade' my Paypal account... it's still free in any case and everything works the same way.

I was able to get my out-of-state address confirmed by changing the address on my Serve card to the other address, then adding it to Paypal (which automatically 'confirmed' the new address) but if you add a gift card it should work the same way.  Just register the gift card first, then add it to Paypal as a credit card with the same address you used to register it.

For me the most difficult part was getting Serve to take a PO Box address (it insists on a street address) but if you're creative you can make it work, and it doesn't have to be an exact match for Paypal to confirm it (Paypal seems most concerned about the ZIP code).  After it was confirmed, I changed the address in Serve back to my 'real' address but Paypal is still 'confirmed'. 

It's also made ordering from eBay and having the item delivered to my other address a breeze, since you can use the new 'confirmed' address with any payment method you have on file with Paypal, even if it has a different billing address.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Worked exactly as you said (had to Google to find the direct link without applying for a Paypal business account).  Also added an AMEX gift card I received (which doesn't allow you to set a billing address) and it accepted my work address as the billing address.  We'll see if it works.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MASTERNC wrote:

Worked exactly as you said (had to Google to find the direct link without applying for a Paypal business account).  Also added an AMEX gift card I received (which doesn't allow you to set a billing address) and it accepted my work address as the billing address.  We'll see if it works.  Thanks.

Fantastic!  Smiley Very Happy

This has been working for me for 4+ years now, and so far there's never been a problem.  If the new address is showing 'Confirmed' status you should be golden.  If I remember correctly they also submit an auth for $1 on the card you add, but it will drop off in a few days.  This work-around has made things much easier for me!  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
j615
Regular Contributor

I had to do this once many years ago ordering something online to be shipped to a friend's workplace. It was with either BoA or WF. I can't remember exactly which one for sure, but pretty confident it was WF.

Simply called them and asked them to add a shipping only address noted to my account.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.