cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which banks like you carrying a balance?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Which banks like you carrying a balance?

@Creditplz wrote:
Which banks like you carrying a balance?

It's not quite so simple and straightforward as some creditors "liking a balance" and others "not liking a balance".  One's entire credit profile matters.  One with a stronger profile may see creditors less jumpy if one is at a revolving utilization of X% while one with a thinner profile and/or profile with issues may see creditors more quick to take action at lower revolving utilization.

All we can say is the general advice of do not exceed 30%.  Short term high utilization generally isn't an issue while prologned high utilization can lead to adverse action.

Don't just assume that it's all about the creditor.  That's only half of the equation.  One's credit profile is just as important of a consideration.

@Creditplz wrote:
I'm asking this question because my DW always allows her CSP to report 1k-1.8k/33,000 limit. They've never seemed to hassle her.

That's only 3-5%.  However, it's not just revolving utilization on the one account itself that matters.  It's never just anything about the one account itself but one's entire credit profile that matters.  Even if she only continued to allow 3-5% to report on her CSP and the rest of her profile went sufficiently south, Chase would take adverse action.  Any creditor will when one's credit profile exceed the creditor's risk tolerance.

Also, don't conflate report and carry.  One can have balances report without carrying.

@Creditplz wrote:
Wells Fargo also doesn't seem to mind $500/4.5k limit

11% but, again, it's not just about the one account with the creditor.

@Creditplz wrote:
She just got her Citi Diamond Preferred in the mail with a 9.3k limit and 12.24% APR after the 21 months of 0%. She only got the card to take advantage of the 0% Intro period since our pet came down with health issues and will be putting them on that card and paying $1000/mo towards it. But now she's stressed out on her "what if" and is thinking maybe Citi will cut the card if we use 4.2K on the card on Thursday.. Smiley Surprised does anyone have any experience with carrying a balance on citi?

No experience directly with Citi but that's 45%.  It does exceed the generally suggeted max of 30% but it shouldn't be a big deal -- especially if it is quickly paid down.  The first $1,000 payment would take it down to 34%.  By the second $1,000 payment it would be down to 24%.

While revolving utilzation does have a significant impact is is not the only factor that matters.  We don't have enough details from you to saty for certain but it sounds like she probably has a strong enough profile to handle a short term hike on one card like that.  While 45% is high it's not a drastic spike and, assuming that her other cards remain low like you said I would be surprised if they were concerned.

@Anonymous wrote:

All banks want people to carry balances. That's how they charge interest and make money.

Again, not quite so simple and straightforward as that.  Yes, they do make money on interest but they need to strike a balance between more risky customers that are in debt with those that are less risky and always pay in full.  Some creditors are more willing to take on more risky consumers for the added revenue from credit card interest while some are less willing and prefer to have more that pay in full.  Don't just assume that all creditors are identical and want everyone to pay interest.

Interest is not their only source of revenue.  There are swipe fees and other fees as well.

Message 11 of 16
redpat
Senior Contributor

Your DW wanted the card for the 0% so use it and don't worry about the usage.  She has a plan to pay it.

Never worry about using your credit if you have a thick file and scores are good, that's what credit is for.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All banks want people to carry balances. That's how they charge interest and make money.

Even if they do not admit this, it is true.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
I'm asking this question because my DW always allows her CSP to report 1k-1.8k/33,000 limit. They've never seemed to hassle her. Wells Fargo also doesn't seem to mind $500/4.5k limit, She just got her Citi Diamond Preferred in the mail with a 9.3k limit and 12.24% APR after the 21 months of 0%. She only got the card to take advantage of the 0% Intro period since our pet came down with health issues and will be putting them on that card and paying $1000/mo towards it. But now she's stressed out on her "what if" and is thinking maybe Citi will cut the card if we use 4.2K on the card on Thursday.. Smiley Surprised does anyone have any experience with carrying a balance on citi?

I want to start off by saying that I hope your fur baby is okay.Smiley Happy I will keep y'all in my prayers. 

Personally, I have never had any issues with Citi. I have their Simplicity and Double Cash credit cards. I Heart them both! I've carried high balances on both. I just PIF DC because the 0% promo ended in April or May. I am still carrying a balance on Simplicity. I have used it multiple times for BTs and then PIF. It has been at 98% utilization. I always pay more than the minimum each month. I have never been concerned with AA from them; Although, I know it can happen.

I pray everything works out for your little one.Smiley Happy Please come back and let us know how s/he is going.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex never had a problem wtih me carrying a balance. I am still in my intro period, but I paid that off some time ago.

Once approved for AARP I moved some limit from my IHG to take advantage of the 0% for 12 months.

I have always carried a balance on my DC, they continue to give me CLIs.

Cap1 could care less.

I am worried about my SO who did a BT on their arrival plus.  Who knows what hail that will bring!

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

We've been carrying a balance on Simplicity for more than two years...

No CLI's, but no AA either. 

...and it was maxed out for a long, LONG time. 

lol your signature just ruined my white shirt which is now covered in red gatorade.Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.