Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card - AMEX Blue Cash - Discover IT - Capitol One QuicksilverOne Cash

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which card - AMEX Blue Cash - Discover IT - Capitol One QuicksilverOne Cash

Sean, there aren't MANY cards out there that a CLI isn't a HP --- it's obtaining new credit. Don't let that deter you from actually applying for a card that will help you with your credit goals and is a GOOD card.

Yes, I think you should app for the Amex -- it's good to get your MSD started and it's also a good card if you spend a lot (greater than 6.5k/year on it.) the 5% kicks in then.. but otherwise it's just as good as the Freedom with 1% on everything I believe. I have this card, and I'm glad I have gotten it before it's gone.

(The general Blue Cash -- I also Have Blue Cash Everyday which I like, as well.)

Message 11 of 20
Built2last
New Contributor

I actually have all three cards you mentioned and would personally rank them 1. Amex 2. Discover and 3. Capital one
 photo chase-freedom-personal_zps7d0f91f4.png">
Message 12 of 20
SeanDylan

I keep learning new things. I actually applied for the Chase Freedom back in June when I had lousy credit and didn't know what I was doing. I was obviously declined.

It's good to be aware that you need to make sure that when you ask for a credit limit increase that it is only a soft pull.

And I was referring to the Blue Cash Everyday as I believe it is easier to get then the Preferred Blue Cash. I also like that there isn't an annual fee as I don't know if I'll be spending a ton of money on it to make it worth while. 

The other thing I was thinking about was that I could wait an additional month or two to ensure I will get accepted for the AMEX Everyday blue. Or should I just apply now?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm leaning towards applying for the AMEX  Everyday Blue in the next few days.

Message 13 of 20
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

We'll let me clarify what I wrote earlier as it was misleading. Discover does do soft pull increases but given your limited history, you will get a low starting limit and to expect anything other than maybe a 500cl increase I'm almost certain it will be a hard pull. I got mine from 750cl to 10k in six months but I took three hp from discover.
Message 14 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SeanDylan wrote:

I keep learning new things. I actually applied for the Chase Freedom back in June when I had lousy credit and didn't know what I was doing. I was obviously declined.

It's good to be aware that you need to make sure that when you ask for a credit limit increase that it is only a soft pull.

And I was referring to the Blue Cash Everyday as I believe it is easier to get then the Preferred Blue Cash. I also like that there isn't an annual fee as I don't know if I'll be spending a ton of money on it to make it worth while. 

The other thing I was thinking about was that I could wait an additional month or two to ensure I will get accepted for the AMEX Everyday blue. Or should I just apply now?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm leaning towards applying for the AMEX  Everyday Blue in the next few days.

Yes, there are three "Blue Cash" cards.   The Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash (aka Old Blue Cash).

BTW, as far as anyone here knows, the Preferred and Everyday have the same underwriting, so it is not harder to get, just a question of whether the AF is worth it.

And if you are willing to expand, the Sallie Mae is for many a MUCH better card than the Everyday from the rewards perspective, which (IMO) really doesn't have a niche anymore, except as way to get the first Amex card.

Message 15 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Jeff007245 wrote:

Discover and the soon to be Unicorn Amex Blue Cash. Discover will most likely pull TU and if not TU their second choice is EQ. AMEX will pull EX and the Blue Cash will grow with your income. The Quicksilver One, I would not apply for, it pulls all three bureaus and it has an annual fee.

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... What the what?  Do tell what this means please.  Do you mean they are going to stop issuing this card?  I have been coveting this card for some time and won't be in best position to app until May-July. 

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 16 of 20
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@Jeff007245 wrote:

Discover and the soon to be Unicorn Amex Blue Cash. Discover will most likely pull TU and if not TU their second choice is EQ. AMEX will pull EX and the Blue Cash will grow with your income. The Quicksilver One, I would not apply for, it pulls all three bureaus and it has an annual fee.

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... What the what?  Do tell what this means please.  Do you mean they are going to stop issuing this card?  I have been coveting this card for some time and won't be in best position to app until May-July. 

It's no longer being marketed or even recommended. We are fortunate that the hidden application page is still active to be able to apply. AMEX has already replaced this card with the BCE and BCP cards. Both great cards, but both run out of gas after 6k spent on capped categories. Unfortunately, for aspiring applicants, the total disappearance of the Traditional Blue Cash card (which has unlimited potential past 6.5k spent) is inevitable.

As a matter of when?... who knows.... But I wouldn't take my chances to miss out on one of the greatest cards in the market to have ever existed.

BCE - No Fee

Groceries - 3% < $6,000

Gas - 2%

Department Sores - 2%

Drug Store - 1%

BCP - $75 Fee

Groceries - 6% < $6,000

Gas - 3%

Department Sores - 3%

Drug Store - 1%

BC (Old Blue) - No Fee

Groceries - 5% > $6,500 1% < $6,500

Gas - 5%> $6,500 1% < $6,500

Department Sores - 1% > $6,500 or .05% < $6,500

Drug Store - 5% > $6,500 or 1% < $6,500

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 17 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jeff007245 wrote:

It's no longer being marketed or even recommended. We are fortunate that the hidden application page is still active to be able to apply. AMEX has already replaced this card with the BCE and BCP cards. Both great cards, but both run out of gas after 6k spent on capped categories. Unfortunately, for aspiring applicants, the total disappearance of the Traditional Blue Cash card (which has unlimited potential past 6.5k spent) is inevitable.

As a matter of when?... who knows.... But I wouldn't take my chances to miss out on one of the greatest cards in the market to have ever existed.

I don't know, it'sbeen around quite a while.   My concern is more that it will go the way of the BCP and get caps put on it, greatly decreasing (aka ruining) the value even for those that have it now.

Message 18 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Jeff007245 wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@Jeff007245 wrote:

BCE - No Fee

Groceries - 3% < $6,000

Gas - 2%

Department Sores - 2%

Drug Store - 1%

BCP - $75 Fee

Groceries - 6% < $6,000

Gas - 3%

Department Sores - 3%

Drug Store - 1%

BC (Old Blue) - No Fee

Groceries - 5% > $6,500 1% < $6,500

Gas - 5%> $6,500 1% < $6,500

Department Sores - 1% > $6,500 or .05% < $6,500

Drug Store - 5% > $6,500 or 1% < $6,500

Great info.  Thanks so much

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 19 of 20
Trivolve
Contributor

If you are still a student, if your preapproval was for Discover it STUDENT i would say you have an good chance of getting it.

I think BCE is tough and since you got preapproved for Cap1 you should be good too, but do consider Discover vs. VISA coverage, and do the math for your situation of the difference of 5% cashback rotating categories for Discover (1% otherwise) and 1.5% cashback for QuicksilverOne (with $39 annual fee). 

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.