Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card, before garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card, before garden?

I'm planning on going to the garden. (I think? I'm too new to know if that's the right plan of action...but I think that's my plan.) I'd like to diversivy a little bit more before I go. At the moment my only bank cards are through Chase and Capital One. 
I like rewards....no annual fee is a perk. My scores are still on the low end, so there's that to consider as well....New card bonuses are always a perk, also.
The biggest benefit I'm looking for probably is a free monthly score. I already have Fico and Transunion, so a different one would be great. 
Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Which card, before garden?

Yes. I would garden for 6 months to a year and work on any baddies you have on your reports. Then you will be ready for Discover,Amex,Barclays. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm planning on going to the garden. (I think? I'm too new to know if that's the right plan of action...but I think that's my plan.) I'd like to diversivy a little bit more before I go. At the moment my only bank cards are through Chase and Capital One. 
I like rewards....no annual fee is a perk. My scores are still on the low end, so there's that to consider as well....New card bonuses are always a perk, also.
The biggest benefit I'm looking for probably is a free monthly score. I already have Fico and Transunion, so a different one would be great. 
Thoughts? 

The cards aren't going anywhere. You can just use what you have and wait a little (6 months like other poster suggested) and garden. Then apply for something. You'll get a better limit and APR almost definitely. Credit is a journey not a race

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have suggested, plant yourself in the garden until your scores rise.  At ~700 you should be able to pick up a Sallie Mae and Discover It.

Slightly off topic, but FICO score isn't one of the companies that reports the scores.  These companies are:

Transunion, Equifax, and Experian.  You listed your TU score and a FICO score.  Without more information, we have no way of knowing which fico score this is.

E: Also, AFAIK only your Walmart card provides you a free FICO score.  The scores you get with Cap One are FAKO scores, models of your real scores based on their algorithm.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fako score, lol. So similar to Credit Karma and the other freebies? It lists it on their website as being through TU....

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Fako score, lol. So similar to Credit Karma and the other freebies? It lists it on their website as being through TU....

Yup.  They run a different model than CK though.  Credit Karma uses Vantage Scores, which AFAIK are actually used by lenders occassionally. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne uses the preVantage CK model. Still a FAKO
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, man. I went from thinking I was getting 2 free scores a month to none?! But it's at least an idea, kind of like the freebie things, right? I've seen the numbers steadily climbing, and took it as a positive...

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Based on the cards and scores mentioned in your signature, I think you are right to "garden" and I don't think you should apply for any more cards at the moment.

I think you should let these age and grow.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whelp, I guess I'm going to the garden then. I've got a couple of errors on my CR that I need to dispute (medical bills), so I guess that will keep me occupied. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.