Which card for travel??

tag
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Re: Which card for travel??

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chopbrocoli wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So Amex sounds like a good back up card for the travel situations--Thanks Jaybird!

Ohhh I would think twice before saying that haha. My friends and I had some horiffic encounters with relying on our AMEX cards for travel. I used my charge card to secure my reservation and everything was good. However, during my stay, the hotel calls me for a new credit card as they said the authorization has failed and they need a new card. So I called AMEX and I find out that I have been assigned to "Financial Review."

Het Broccoli--I think i remember reading your story about this.  I plan to take the Amex as a "Back up" card.  believe it or not they have been super awesome to me.  My Blue Cash has a great limit.  But i too like others have been squirmish about the CLD's.  Thanks for reminding me of this.  

Agreed! Not everyone has terrible experiences with AmEx. Just give them a call before you go overseas and let them know what countries you'll be in.

I still belive that the vast majority of AmEx users that PIF and don't carry huge balances and give a courtesy call to AmEx if they're gonna use their card abroad, won't get mistreated or CLDed. Doesn't mean that there won't be any outliers. Don't leave home without it!

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jaybird looks like we have something in common, Amex has been really great to me.  I know they can be finicky, but so far I have had no problems.  It is good to know someone else is having a positive experience as well!
Message 22 of 24
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a little late to the party here, but I didn't have anything to add regarding foreign transaction fees, but I can add to the bit about Nassau accepting CCs.  I didn't have a problem at all.  I'm pretty sure I used mainly my Juni/Travelocity card, but I know the Macy's Visa saw some action. 

Good reminder from ducky about multiple entrees.  That works for desserts, too!  Check the TV in the cabin for the daily menu so you know what you want before you go.  We skipped the formal dinner a few times.  The fresh fruit on the 'food trough' was perfect for a late dinner.  Carnival was really easy to travel with -- especially with 25 drunk teachers on Spring Break.  (LOL -- don't tell my students!)

The only excurision we booked prior to disembarking was a catamaran trip.  That was AMAZING!  All the beer you could drink (or rum punch) while they take you out on the boat, drop you at a private island for awhile (with more beer), and bring you back.  I think that might have been the best part of our trip.

The only thing that really surprised me was in Nassau.  They have little kids trying to con you as soon as you get off of the ship.  It's easy to say NO to adults, but the kids SEEM a bit more innocent.  Uh, no.

Carnival called the on-board card something like "sign and sail", but we referred to them as "drink and sink" cards.  We had one day at sea that we spent so much money while sitting in the hot tub area.  It was the day of the NCAA BBall finals and I slept thru the whole thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 23 of 24
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Oh , there are tens of millions of us out here having good experiences with AMEX. Even if I have a problem with a vendor I can depend on AX to straighten it out without wasting my time. They are the best to me. Where all the problems come from I can't figure. I do know that we don't read much about FR anymore, so it seems a little quaint to mention it as if it is an immediate threat. (do a search)

Bon voyage,

NMN

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey Jaybird looks like we have something in common, Amex has been really great to me.  I know they can be finicky, but so far I have had no problems.  It is good to know someone else is having a positive experience as well!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.