cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card is better that pass you, Visa or Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card is better that pass you, Visa or Amex?

I have read many opinions about two cards, but I would like to know which is best. I have Discover, Amex and they don't want to approve a Chase Visa. Such as recent these approvals do not is if you should wait
24 REPLIES 24
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Which card is better that pass you, Visa or Amex?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have read many opinions about two cards, but I would like to know which is best. I have Discover, Amex and they don't want to approve a Chase Visa. Such as recent these approvals do not is if you should wait

Your question has no definitive answer. I have Amex, Visa, Discover, and MC. All are best at different times.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your question has no definitive answer. I have Amex, Visa, Discover, and MC. All are best at different times.

+1.

Card network is meaningless, aside from merchants that do/do not accept certian cards. Issuing banks/creditors, perks that come with the cards is what to look for. 

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal is to get the approval of Chase Freedom . I do not understand why they approved me an American Express card and not a Chase . I hope in the future to have it.
Message 4 of 25
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Berk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+100 Make your cards work for you.

I understand that you're frustrated that Chase won't approve you for a card. They can be a tough nut to crack, but there is something about your profile that will not allow them to approve you. If I recall, you mentioned something about having a lot of store cards in your previous post. I don't know if that meant you've opened a lot of cards in the last several years.  Don't forget that Chase will not approve you for a Freedom if you have opened 5 or more accounts in the last 2 years (24 months), regardless of your credit score.

Message 5 of 25
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My goal is to get the approval of Chase Freedom . I do not understand why they approved me an American Express card and not a Chase . I hope in the future to have it.

Two different lenders = two different sets of criteria. Also, the fact that you now have credit cards would have changed your profile. Had you applied for Chase first you might have gotten that card and then been denied by Amex.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, these cards carry with me 2 years. I did not know that fact . Best expect them to do the approach
Message 7 of 25
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I have found that over the past ~20 years since receiving my first credit card, I have consistently gotten the best and most favorable card terms from MasterCard and Amex, of all the available card networks.  None of the best offers I received from VISA or Discover that I can recall came close to the best offers I got from MC and Amex.  Again, YMMV.

ETA:  corrected typo

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that opportunity will eventually come . I did not consider worthy of AMEX Every Day in my life. Lol and was approved . I am very responsible with my payments on time
Message 9 of 25
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are several contributing factors that would go into an approval or a denial. Your reasons for denial at chase if you have applied should be given to you, if so just work on whatever they said and check back on their pre qual page in the future.You could simply be too new to credit for chase and they would like to see a little experience using your current cards before they risk taking a chance on you, if that's the reason then that's easy, just use what you have responsibly and build a solid history and you will be on your way to getting cards you want. Just remember to keep in mind that one cards approval does not dictate others approvals. Amex approval by itself will not land you a chase approval and vice versa, each card has their own approval and UW criteria. Time and patience can do wonders, good luck. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.