cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card is easier to get US Bank Visa or BB&B visa backed by US Bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card is easier to get US Bank Visa or BB&B visa backed by US Bank?

The same questions applies for other cards that you get directly from the bank VS the cards with Visa, MC or Discover that you get if you apply in the store and get like Saks Fifth Ave MC in stead of applying for an HSBC MC?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which card is easier to get US Bank Visa or BB&B visa backed by US Bank?

I can't speak specifically to these cards, but in general, co-branded and affiliate cards are easier to get than the straight bank cards issued by the same lender. By co-branded, I mean bank cards (MC, Visa, Discover, AmEx) that also have the name of a retail outfit or oil company. So these would include my no-longer-offered Chase Borders Visa and the BP Visa card, also from Chase. By affiliate, I mean bank cards that have the name of your university alumni association or professional association or charity group.

The problem is that it can be very difficult to PC (product change) from these cards to another issued by the same lender. The business or group associated with the card generally requires that PC's be disallowed. My now-closed Citi Sears MC could not be swapped, my Chase Borders Visa could not be swapped (they swapped it to a pretend version of a Chase Freedom when they ended the program), and my professional association BofA card can't be swapped.

When I did my app spree, I was too chicken to go for the straight cards. I got everything I applied for, but I certainly wish that I had just tried for the regular versions instead.

eta: --and the Sears card was the only one that I apped for in the store. You can apply for (and get) a store co-branded card and affiliate card over the phone just as easily.

The bit about applying in the store is often advised for those going for a straight store card, as it seems that you can often get a higher CL on the spot, and they can verify your identity. I don't know that there's any particular advantage for the co-branded ones.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-08-2010 04:26 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which card is easier to get US Bank Visa or BB&B visa backed by US Bank?

If you don't live in a state that has US Bank locations, then don't bother with applying for their VISA card.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.