Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card next

tag
Shayevans
Established Member

Which card next

Ok I'm new to posting but not new to reading, my last late payment was 3 yrs ago. Not much credit after that until 1 yr ago I got approved for the 250 fingerhut. It's now 650. In september i was approved for a 40k auto, October, nov, and dec, I have gotten buckle 250, express 250, VS 250, brylane homes 250, jjill 250, marathon gas 200, true value 500(was trying for the discover), old navy 300, walmart 300, I'm an au on a cap1 401$, and last but not least barclaycard rewards for 500.  my scores or around 620 due to the new accounts  So, which visa/mastercard do you think I have a big chance at getting and I haven't recieved my barclaycard n the mail yet, can I call for a cli or would you suggest I not do that???? 

Thanks so much

all help appreciated

Current ex 645
Eq 646
Tu. 657
My Fico scores
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Which card next

Sorry to say, because I can see why you'd like to have more general use cards, but you shouldn't be apping for anything right now.  Your score is too low and you have so many new accounts with low limits that even if you got approved (iffy), it would only be for another tiny limit.

Let your tradelines grow for another year, get your score up, hope for some credit line increases, work on any baddies you may have left on your credit reports, then try again a year from now.

Message 2 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Also, while the general rule is that it doesn't hurt to recon for a larger CL, you probably won't get it on that Barclay given your current picture and you might end up with another HP. Others here may have a different view.

Message 3 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

It looks like you've gotten around 10 store cards in the recent past.

I'd suggest taking a step back and asking yourself whether you can actually manage that many accounts, and also ask whether they will do you any good in the long run.

In my experience, general Amex/Discover/MasterCard/Visa cards are more useful.

I am a well-organized person, but I would find it a challenge to manage so many cards.

If you ultimately close some of the accounts, it will have no immediate effect on your AAoA.

Message 4 of 8
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

You've got a lot of new cards.  I don't think you need to be considering  a "which card next".  Let those cards grow for the next 6-12 months.  Possibly some of those small CLs will increase along with building a history.  Let em grow, don't apply for anything right now and let you scores improve with these cards.  I know it's probably not what you want to hear right now, but it would be the smart move.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 5 of 8
Shayevans
Established Member

Yeah I know you guys are right and most of these cards were shopping cart trick. IBut I will just garden , amd no I don't think i will have a problem keeping up with them as I won't even use most if them. I don't think I will have a problem anyway. Thanks for y'all's replys, I do appreciate it. 

Current ex 645
Eq 646
Tu. 657
My Fico scores
Message 6 of 8
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Shayevans wrote:

Yeah I know you guys are right and most of these cards were shopping cart trick. IBut I will just garden , amd no I don't think i will have a problem keeping up with them as I won't even use most if them. I don't think I will have a problem anyway. Thanks for y'all's replys, I do appreciate it. 

First, welcome to the forum.   Great job on doing your homework and getting those cards mostly through shopping cart tricks and saving your HPs for something big later on.  I would recommend visiting the pre-qualifier site (creditcards.com) and see if you are matched for anything there to start.  Indeed, your credit score is a bit low, but also find out what your EX score is, too.   Cap1 is a good choice in my book for starters (1.5% cashback), or BOA 1-2-3 ($99 secured version if you have to).    Otherwise keep all your current cards and age them well for the next 3-4months and see if your scores approves then apply for something better. 

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 8
Shayevans
Established Member

Thank you guys so much I do appreciate your input and will be returning for more in the future!!!! I'm gonna garden my little cards now Smiley Wink

Current ex 645
Eq 646
Tu. 657
My Fico scores
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.