Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card(s) should I be considering?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card(s) should I be considering?

Scores are in the 670-690 range; Experian is the highest at 689. One judgement (due to fall off 3/17) and one collection (only showing on TU and EQ); last late was 41 months ago. Credit utilization is at 51% (mostly on a Discover card, which is over 95%). 

Looking for a card (or cards) that will either give me a large enough CL to lower my uilization %, have a 0% BT offer, and/or provide a place to park a large hunk of the Discover debt so I can transfer back to Discover at 0%.

If need be, I wait and then pay down 20-25% of the Discover balance at the end of this month which will lower my utilization/boost my score, but I'd rather keep the cash (saving for a house) and lower the interest rate. 

Suggestions? Thanks in advance-- this board has been HUGELY helpful to me!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Which card(s) should I be considering?

@Anonymous wrote:

Scores are in the 670-690 range; Experian is the highest at 689. One judgement (due to fall off 3/17) and one collection (only showing on TU and EQ); last late was 41 months ago. Credit utilization is at 51% (mostly on a Discover card, which is over 95%). 

Looking for a card (or cards) that will either give me a large enough CL to lower my uilization %, have a 0% BT offer, and/or provide a place to park a large hunk of the Discover debt so I can transfer back to Discover at 0%.

If need be, I wait and then pay down 20-25% of the Discover balance at the end of this month which will lower my utilization/boost my score, but I'd rather keep the cash (saving for a house) and lower the interest rate. 

Suggestions? Thanks in advance-- this board has been HUGELY helpful to me!

Unfortunately, with a card being that close to maxed out, you're going to have trouble getting approved for anything, much less a decent enough limit. Instead of focusing on shuffling the debt to a new card  to lower utilization, my suggestion is to lower it by actually lowering it -- pay it down. You are not going to be seeing large limit approvals when you have high utilization. The best time to get such a card is when you don't need it -- when you actually do, it's going to be difficult. Not saying this to put you down, just trying to be realistic.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091: I appreciate the insight. What % would you estimate that I need to have the card utilization under in order to make that a moot point? I can afford to pay it down to 50-60% utilzation within 3 weeks. Would I need to bring it down lower? 

Also, as an aside, I'm an authorized user on my dad's cards-- do you know whether I'd be eligble to do a balance transfer to one of his cards? He has the open and available credit-- so I could then transfer it back to Discover at 0%? 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say under 30% is where you want to be and ideally between 1-9%.
Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Not a bad idea to wait and get that balance down a bit. It also may help get you a higher limit when you do try to get a card.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.