cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card(s) would you NOT app for?

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Which card(s) would you NOT app for?

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
To each his/her own, but I refuse to app for any card with an annual fee. I'm a wise consumer. I don't need travel rewards as I pay a low annual fee for Spirit Airline Membership. This allows me average airfare cost of $28 to $50 for each one-way flight as well as very affordable lodging. I travel quite frequently and my scores are between 825 and 840. I also save tons of money by shopping at cost-saving stores (online and in-store). I always search online for discount coupon codes when shopping and take advantage of earning cash while shopping online. Paying an annual fee for a credit card that offers rewards for designated purchases at designated merchant types during designated time periods will not work for me.

I pay $59 to earn $1500-$2000 cash back per year.  EMMV but to me that too is being a wise consumer.

I'm sure SOGGIE didn't mean that anyone who paid an annual fee wasn't a wise consumer. I took that comment to mean that fees weren't wise for his or her circumstances. They aren't wise for my circumstances, either, but I'm sure they are for many people who spend more or travel more.

Message 21 of 55
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Simmons

Why torture myself

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 22 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
To each his/her own, but I refuse to app for any card with an annual fee. I'm a wise consumer. I don't need travel rewards as I pay a low annual fee for Spirit Airline Membership. This allows me average airfare cost of $28 to $50 for each one-way flight as well as very affordable lodging. I travel quite frequently and my scores are between 825 and 840. I also save tons of money by shopping at cost-saving stores (online and in-store). I always search online for discount coupon codes when shopping and take advantage of earning cash while shopping online. Paying an annual fee for a credit card that offers rewards for designated purchases at designated merchant types during designated time periods will not work for me.

I pay $59 to earn $1500-$2000 cash back per year.  EMMV but to me that too is being a wise consumer.

Continuing my Venture bashing spree, why is that wiser than spending $0 to get the same cashback with a 2% card?  Lots of FTF ($11000 a year to make the difference between using that and the QS?)

Message 23 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think once people get their scores up on here and stay a while there are five types of people on here

1). Bonus chasers:  people who don't carry balances and go from card to card and stop using the card soon as they get the bonus.  People who like to go on big vacations

2). Coupon cutters:  they don't carry balances either. They carry 10 cards at all time trying to get the biggest cash back they can for each purchase.  They complain about sign up bonuses because they spend such a little bit of money that they can never reach the spend.  They get a new card if they can save 2 dollars a year in a category.

3) 0 interest balance transfers.  They carry balances so they always looking for no interest.

4) People who get all the cars from one company to maximize their rewards.  Either Chase or Amex.  They will have Chase Freedom.  Chase freedom Unlimited , CSP and CSR .

5). High Credit Line People:  they don't care much about benefits or interest rates other than to brag about them.  Their goal is only to get more cards to increase their limits.  They don't need the increased limit they just want to have it to have it.

Message 24 of 55
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Oh gosh, where do I start? Smiley Tongue

Annual fee cards, for now, no thanks.  I really don't see the need for those.

Barclays.  Will never get a card through them.  They do too many weird things.

Cap one. They were useful  in the beginning, but as my scores got better they started to hate me.  we dont know why, they never got burned by me.  But hey, their loss. Smiley Wink

High interest rate cards.   No use for them.

Points cards.  No use for them.  Cash back  cards are ok though Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 55
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

Continuing my Venture bashing spree, why is that wiser than spending $0 to get the same cashback with a 2% card?  Lots of FTF ($11000 a year to make the difference between using that and the QS?)

To each their own I guess.

Cap One has treated me very well and I am loyal to them because of it.

How many cards out there give 2% cash back and $400 signing bonus and World MasterCard or Visa Signature benefits with No FTF on all purchases with no minimum or maximum rewards rules?

I spend a lot more than $11k per year to make up the difference between 1.5% and 2.0% cash back.

I am not saying Venture is the best card no matter what.  

I am saying I dont mind paying $59 per year for $30k card with those types of benefits and rewards.

I have friends that spend $1000 per year on Amex but Amex gives them free flights, zillions of miles, club access, etc.

They probably get $25,000 worth of benefits each year.

Are they stupid too?

Again, to each their own.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 26 of 55
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I would not app for any card that I would not continue to use regularly after the first year.  That eliminates all Amex cards, all Discover cards, all Capital One cards, all US Bank cards, almost all Citi cards, almost all Bank of America cards, and almost all Barclay cards.

My current portfolio of cards gives me 3x points (yielding 4.5% or more) on travel and dining, 2% cash back on everything else, a variety of perks for my international flights on United, and a true chip+PIN capability for use overseas.  The only thing I lack is a card that gives me 3% on groceries with quick, convenient redemptions, but such a card does not exist.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 27 of 55
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think once people get their scores up on here and stay a while there are five types of people on here  There are also an unusually large number of us that are outliers and fit into every one of those 5.  I will not be categorized! LOL

1). Bonus chasers:  people who don't carry balances and go from card to card and stop using the card soon as they get the bonus.  People who like to go on big vacations  I like free stuff.  I like free stuff even better when I can just consolidate the line into something that I already have and keep it useful.

2). Coupon cutters:  they don't carry balances either. They carry 10 cards at all time trying to get the biggest cash back they can for each purchaseNot 10 but depending on the month or quarter probably 5 or 6, but most of my spend goes on one card.  I only carry Target for store cards since I mostly shop online, so maybe that does get me to about 10 if I count Lowe's, Kohl's and Amazon. They complain about sign up bonuses because they spend such a little bit of money that they can never reach the spend.  Not a problem on my end, fortunately or unfortunately - that's why Amex gives me lackluster bonus offers like spend $15,000 by the end of next month and get bonus MRs. They get a new card if they can save 2 dollars a year in a category.

3) 0 interest balance transfers.  They carry balances so they always looking for no interest.  Also acceptable would be zero balance transfer fees and very low APR.

4) People who get all the cars from one company to maximize their rewards.  Either Chase or Amex.  Why not both?  They will have Chase Freedom.  Chase freedom Unlimited , CSP and CSR .  No, the CSR is redundant (for me since I don't use the travel portal) with the CSP and Amex Platinum.

5). High Credit Line People:  they don't care much about benefits or interest rates other than to brag about them.  Their goal is only to get more cards to increase their limits.  They don't need the increased limit they just want to have it to have it.  I fit the category but not the descriptions.  I need the utilization padding while paying off mountains of debt, and it's part of my consolidation plan to end up with just a handful of obscenely high credit limit cards in a couple of years.

Message 28 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any of the "luxuary" mastercards from Barclays. The black, gold, and platinum. 

Message 29 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

To each their own I guess.

Cap One has treated me very well and I am loyal to them because of it.

How many cards out there give 2% cash back and $400 signing bonus and World MasterCard or Visa Signature benefits with No FTF on all purchases with no minimum or maximum rewards rules?

I spend a lot more than $11k per year to make up the difference between 1.5% and 2.0% cash back.

I am not saying Venture is the best card no matter what.  

I am saying I dont mind paying $59 per year for $30k card with those types of benefits and rewards.

I have friends that spend $1000 per year on Amex but Amex gives them free flights, zillions of miles, club access, etc.

They probably get $25,000 worth of benefits each year.

Are they stupid too?

Again, to each their own.

Oh, I have a few AF cards myself, I have never understood why some people reject them out of hand, all that matters for any card is that the total benefits (defined as you wish) - the cost is at least as good as most comparable cards.

I was just picking on the claim that it is "wise" to spend $59 for a benefit that you could possibly get for free, albeit at some cost in convenience (no min redemption, rewards post with transactions).   Personally I don't value that at $59 at all, but ok.  Yes, I can see getting it for the bonus (of course) but not keeping past the first year.

The $11,000 a year is the break-even for Foreign Transaction Free purchases alone, when it is worth getting 2% for $59 rather than 1.5% for $0.     For domestic purchases against a free 2% card there is no reward based break even point (you are always down $59!) so then you have to value the other benefits.

Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.