tag
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Which card should I apply to first.

744 score based on experian from quizzle

752 score based on experian from quizzle

No hard inquires in past 24, no missed/late payments ever

7 installments for student loans

I have a 15k credit limit listed on my experian report, because I'm an authorized user on my parents card. But I need my own personal CC for my own revolving credit line.

Was planning to get one retail card and one standard CC. Was planning to go with amazon's visa, and amex blue preffered. Will use amazon online with them and probably keep baance zero if not close to zero. Amex I will use on all grocery/gas and other stuff, and will keep a small balance on in from month to month. 

Hopefully I can get both, but with chance of being denied, which do you suggest I apply to first? Assuming I'm approved on first one I'll have a higher credit limit when they look on second card(although lower average credit line). If i'm denied on first I'll have one hard inquiry on account.  Any advice on these two cards would be helpful, thanks!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: Which card should I apply to first.

I will let the wiser folks here have a go at this one because i don't want to lead you wrong.

However, consider maybe Discover IT?  They are on a generous approval rampage and are giving decent limits and the benefits are good.

Just my 2 coppers though.  let the thread build a bit before deciding imo.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 2 of 23
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

What card are you an AU on? Do you have any CC's of your own, or just the AU and student loans?

Message 3 of 23
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Its a BoA Visa I'm an AU on 15k limit.

No CC of my own currently, main reason I am trying to get one now. I had a sears card from 08-12 with very small limit. 

@Pilotdude

Thanks, I will look into Discover if I after collecting enough info on these two card I decide not to apply for one(or either) of them.

Message 4 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ssjjfar wrote:

Its a BoA Visa I'm an AU on 15k limit.

No CC of my own currently, main reason I am trying to get one now. I had a sears card from 08-12 with very small limit

@Pilotdude

Thanks, I will look into Discover if I after collecting enough info on these two card I decide not to apply for one(or either) of them.

Had? Is it closed?

Message 5 of 23
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Saw on credit report they closed it last august due to inactvity. I tried calling them earlier this week to see if it could be reopened. They said they can't reopene once its been closed, but I could apply for a new one which I didn't want to do.

I never used the card other then the initial purchase when I signed up. They never sent me the card orginally, then a few months later I get a letter saying I have a balance past due on my Sears card. I had to call them up and explain that I never even got a card or a orginal bill. They tried to look up when I should have received the card and then told me that they never sent it -_-. I walked into Sears the next day paid off my balance at the register, then when I actually got the card I didn't bother put it in my wallet because its seemed they handle things bad on their end and it was my first CC. Thankfully they removed the "late" payment since I never had a card or account number to pay, but I just didn't trust it anymore. 

Message 6 of 23
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

I think you should be good with the Amazon store card (not the chase visa), but I don't think that AMEX is a good idea. I would try to go with BOA, since you're an AU already, or with a Cap1 card to start off.

Message 7 of 23
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@xiownthisplacex wrote:

I think you should be good with the Amazon store card (not the chase visa), but I don't think that AMEX is a good idea. I would try to go with BOA, since you're an AU already, or with a Cap1 card to start off.

After running to the store for pet food and thinking about this one a bit, I have to concur that Cap One might be a good place to start as well.

This is because:

1. Cap One has a history of giving people a first shot and has decent rewards for first timer cards.

2.  While the front door of CapOne blows for CLIs, the Executive Office method seems to be very successful so maybe after having it for six months with low util, you will be able to obtain a CLI that way.

3.  When other Credit Card companies see your Cap One account and AU account, they might very well be more inclined to give you a shot too.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 8 of 23
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

have you pulled reports from here? quizzle is a fako score! 

plus to check if that card reported late? 

hows the utilization on the au card? if you say 0% it will only be better for you. 

like stated discover it is a good choice. (they have been generous this year) 

depending on your aaoa? since you had that card in 08? im assuming aaoa should be over a year 

chase freedom might be a good choice as well. (does chase count au accounts? i know they dont count store cards?

also whats your income? 

i only advise against cap one because they triple pull and they almost never cli (unless through eo as posted on here) 

if anything a secured boa would be better but you already have history. 

so as long as you have no lates and no balances you should be good for alot of cards. 

edit2: amex bcp? would you spend enough to justify the af?

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

I agree Capital one would be a great place to start, just know that they will pull all 3 credit reports..good luck and keep up the good work

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.