Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

Some of you may know that I have been thinking of adding the Explorer and/or CSP to my line up. A couple of months ago, I became a CPC and today I casually asked if there were any pre-approvals waiting for me. Thanks for that tip by the way...

Too my surprise, I did have a pre-approval! My CPC Banker had left for the day but the manager still called him at home to discuss cc's /sign up bonuses.

To make a long story short, tomorrow I'll be meeting with my banker and now I'm torn and need a little input.

I do travel but only 1x a year internationally; 4-5 domestically. I dine in restaurants a lot and my hotel of choice is Hilton . Based on that, the banker suggested CSP (40,000 bonus with $500 instead of $400). The manager also mentioned the CPC cc's that he didn't have access to but the AF was $395 if maybe $495.

Thoughts? Explorer, CSP or ?
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Re: Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

@09Lexie wrote:
Some of you may know that I have been thinking of adding the Explorer and/or CSP to my line up. A couple of months ago, I became a CPC and today I casually asked if there were any pre-approvals waiting for me. Thanks for that tip by the way...

Too my surprise, I did have a pre-approval! My CPC Banker had left for the day but the manager still called him at home to discuss cc's /sign up bonuses.

To make a long story short, tomorrow I'll be meeting with my banker and now I'm torn and need a little input.

I do travel but only 1x a year internationally; 4-5 domestically. I dine in restaurants a lot and my hotel of choice is Hilton . Based on that, the banker suggested CSP (40,000 bonus with $500 instead of $400). The manager also mentioned the CPC cc's that he didn't have access to but the AF was $395 if maybe $495.

Thoughts? Explorer, CSP or ?

The CPC pre-approval for the $500 is a no-brainer IMHO.  Being able to transfer points between the Freedom (I believe you have one, if not get it Smiley Happy) and CSP a fantastic prgram.

I was feeling poor today nd the fact that you upgraded to CPC reminds me; again, I am poor :'(

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 2 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

Hmm.

Really depends.

Benefits Explorer has over CSP:
1. Primary rental coverage. Nice to have if your rent cars frequently, useless if you don't.

2. Free checked bags (1 for primary holder, 1 for companion). This feature can save up to quite a bit of money after several flights

3. Priority boarding.  Not so much a game-breaking perk, but nice to have if you frequent United.

4. 2 free club passes. Think that's worth around $16 for each pass on eBay.

5. Based on very limited info, Chase seems to be more generous with CL when it comes to co-branded card.

Benefits CSP has over Explorer:
1. Points can be used for more than just flights, though if your hotel of choice is Hilton, then it's not so much that big of a deal since UR cannot be transferred to Hilton. But just in case you're flying via other airlines, the UR points gives you flexibility when it comes to point transfers.

2. 2X dining. If you dine out a lot, this can help accumulate points fast.

3. 7% dividend. Always nice to have free extra points.

4. UR Mall. I'm not sure if United has a feature like this. If it does then disregard this, unless the points disparity is high.

5. I hate to say this but someone will bring it up eventually. It's metal.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@enharu

All valid points. I'm intrigued about the higher CL for their co-branded cc's too. That being said, the UR rewards is something I'm eyeing too! Tbh, I'm not that in love with United either. I've recently started to fly JetBlue and I'm kinda waiting to see what's going to shake loose with American Airlines CC.

And being metal is nice too.
Message 5 of 58
370Z
Frequent Contributor

There is a United Mileage Plus Shopping portal (and similarly an AAdvantage one). Any credit card can be used. Miles post to the respective mileage accounts.

UA and AA also have dining portals, in which any card can be linked.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 6 of 58
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Well well well Smiley Happy

I go to sleep a few hours and look what happens..

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 58
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I just got back from a trip to peru and one of the people I went with uses a chase united plus explorer where as I used my CSP. I did have to pay $25 to check a bag and that sucked but on my way home I didnt for some reason? But the points. I earned a bunch of points this month. I earned 3973 points on airfare dining and travel and a few mall points while they earned just general spend. I only spent $2300 for 3973 points. I dont think you can amass points that quickly with the united card, and you are married to united. I can use my points where I want. Of course due to my recent transfers, I too am married to united for a while. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 8 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

You could always get both cards though Smiley Tongue

The Explorer AF is easily justified after a couple waived luggage fees.

Personally I think the Explorer is a good card to have only because UA happens to be part of Star Alliance. I think UA is medicore but Star Alliance has a lot of good airlines on board, and UA miles can be used to redeem Star Alliance flights which is a very big perk. That being said, you can do the same with CSP as well.

I think the United Club card is worth getting too. It may have a $395 AF, but instead you get 4 free checked bags on top of many other perks plus 1.5miles per dollar spending. Only reason I kept emphasizing on checked bags is because those fees sometimes can exceed the cost of the card's AF especially if you fly quite a bit. It's a metal card too!

Since you dine out a lot, CSP looks like it will be a better point churner. The UR Mall is a nice touch as well to help churn more points.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.