cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

Message 11 of 58
Open123
Super Contributor

Naturally, I'd be a proponent of getting both!  In my view, I see two options:

1.  If one, CSP.  Larger bonus, points transfer to UA, SW, Hyatt, etc...has a cash equivalent value with more pts earning potential. 

2.  If two, then Explorer first.  Then, CSP afterwards.  Accrue points for both, cancel UA then next year and consolidate CL into the CSP for a larger CL.  After consoldation, if fee isn't worth it, downgrade to no fee Sapphire, but with large CL intact.

I'd say go for both!  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 58
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

Well well well Smiley Happy

I go to sleep a few hours and look what happens..

LOL!

Message 13 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Naturally, I'd be a proponent of getting both!  In my view, I see two options:

1.  If one, CSP.  Larger bonus, points transfer to UA, SW, Hyatt, etc...has a cash equivalent value with more pts earning potential. 

2.  If two, then Explorer first.  Then, CSP afterwards.  Accrue points for both, cancel UA then next year and consolidate CL into the CSP for a larger CL.  After consoldation, if fee isn't worth it, downgrade to no fee Sapphire, but with large CL intact.

I'd say go for both!  Smiley Wink

+1 Smiley Very Happy

Oh, you could try get the United Club 1st year AF waived too so that's also a viable option.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Open123

Use the 'pre-approval for CSP and then app for Explorer.....hmm
Message 15 of 58
ElCamino
Contributor

I'd go with the CSP.

If you've got the Freedom already, then the combo will generate you a ton of UR points.

The CSP has more versatility, and when you're not flying you can still use the points other ways.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 16 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

If you app for both same day, there's a chance it will be only 1 HP on each bureau! 

Chase been double / triple pulling quite a bit, so 2 apps for total of 2 HPs sounds like a great deal Smiley Happy

Or you could it dodfire-style and app for 3-4 cards Smiley Tongue

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 58
Open123
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Open123

Use the 'pre-approval for CSP and then app for Explorer.....hmm

When it comes to points, more is well...more.

Message 18 of 58
myjourney
Super Contributor

You know my thoughts were CSP but open has a very good point about both and then canceling one after the year.

That being said I'm changing my opinion to both...Blame Open Lexie Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.