cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I focus more than others for a higher CL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card should I focus more than others for a higher CL?

Just opened a few lines of credit recently and I'm wondering which card I should pay more attention to so when that time arrives for a CL, I have better chances in getting something GOOD...

Bank of America Secured Visa

HSBC Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Capital One Studen Rewards (In Credit Steps program.. hit 3 month mark, should see a CLI on 5th statement for $750?)

Walmart Discover Credit Card

All have a current CL of $500 except the BOFA which is at $300.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which card should I focus more than others for a higher CL?

Will the BofA secured card allow you to increase your deposit, thus increasing your CL?

Some secured cards do this, and when it's time to unsecure, you get a better CL. Don't know if BofA is one, though.

Over the long run, I think you'll have a better chance of a good CL with BofA than with the others, but it's hard to tell. I don't know if the Cap One student card grows.

You might want to open up a savings account with a credit union that also issues CC's. After these four have built up some good history, a CU bank card might be a good next step.

edit to add: I didn't notice that the WalMart card is a Discover, managed by GEMB. I agree with Creditaddict's post down below that it has growth potential, as opposed to the store-only version.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My plan is to increase my CL on my BofA card by putting more towards my deposit. My strategy, though, was to put a big sum near the end of my year anniv. versus putting $100 here, $100 there.

From what I've read here on CAP1, no one on credit steps has gotten their CL to budge past $1000 =/

You read my mind ^_^  My next step is to get a CC with USAA ones I've established some history with the 4 CC's I have now, which in hopes will open the door for an auto loan.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When should I even approach requesting a CLI? Do they do another inquiry when you do this?

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just opened a few lines of credit recently and I'm wondering which card I should pay more attention to so when that time arrives for a CL, I have better chances in getting something GOOD...

Bank of America Secured Visa

HSBC Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Capital One Studen Rewards (In Credit Steps program.. hit 3 month mark, should see a CLI on 5th statement for $750?)

Walmart Discover Credit Card

All have a current CL of $500 except the BOFA which is at $300.

Bank of America does allow you to increase your deposit and putting it in towards the end is a good idea, they automatically give you $500 CLI when they unsecure you, they will pull credit again at that time... so you really don't have to use it a ton to get unsecured.

HSBC isn't even doing CLI at this time unless they feel like it on there own but they like to see a lot of use but I would probably focus on cards that will grow further in the future.

Capital one doesn't need much use because your in credit steps, just pay and don't go over CL and you get it.

Walmart Discover is probably where I would focus my attention, this has the best growth oppurtunity I feel and GE likes to see a lot of use to give the CLI every 4 months

Message 5 of 6
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Say no to HSBC, unless you can't get approved for anything else -- especially b/c of the no CLIs.

Also, I researched the BofA secured, and I remember it being a lot easier to get if you have a checking account with BofA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.