Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I get?

tag
flyingpenguin
New Contributor

Which card should I get?

ETA: I decided to apply for the US Bank Cash+ card that webhopper suggested. I got the wait 7-10 days reply. Hope I get the cash+ version and not the cash one!

---

Hi. I discovered this forum recently and have been lurking, and now (surprise!) I'm thinking about applying for a new card. I think it makes sense for me. I'm 23, and in a perfect world I think I'd get one more card now, and then no more. Smiley Happy (Obviously doubt that will happen.) But I do want to limit the number of cards that I have, for simplicity and ease of management. No plans for a car or mortgage in the forseeable future, but I'm probably going to be looking for a new apartment next May, and any potential landlord will pull my credit. (Not too worried about that though, I don't think a 5-10 point drop will be big deal.)

I PIF every month, no baddies.

Current cards:

Citi Forward - 5500 limit - opened 7/09

BofA - 1700 limit - opened 7/07 (first card I opened when I turned 18, it's in the sockdrawer now)

Macy's Store Card - 100 limit - opened 6/08 (haven't used since I opened it but it reports every month)

I also have one paid off student loan and one active one (~$5000), if that's relevant. 

FICO EQ: 759 (5/2/11)

FAKO: (all past few days)

CK: 755

CS: 773

Quizzle: 734

I've been looking at the Walmart Discover, the Fidelity Investments Rewards Amex, and the Amex BCE.

Walmart Discover - I only want this for the free monthly TU score. But I've read that most lenders don't use the version that it provides. So then for me it's probably not worth the bother (having to occasionally put a charge on it to keep it active). 

Fidelity Amex - I already use Fidelity so the 2% cashback is very appealing to me. But reading the reviews kind of scared me off. Seems to have problems with declines and bad customer service. So is that worth the extra 1% back? I would want to put bigger purchases on it to get the 2% cashback, but I wouldn't want to deal things like airline tickets getting randomly declined... And it's not a "true" Amex card (doesn't come with the Amex perks).

Amex BCE - I'm interested in this card mainly for the Amex perks. I'm probably going to buy a new computer within the next year, so the extended warranty would be great. I spend <$100/month on groceries so the BCP isn't worth it for me. Also if I get this Amex now, any future Amex's would be backdated (assuming they continue to backdate). Do you think I'd be approved for this card?

I haven't really looked into cards with 5% cashback in rotating categories, because it seems like too much of a PITA to remember the current categories. But maybe you guys have found differently? 

Or maybe I should just wait and see if my spending habits change down the road?

If I do apply, a question about timing ... My Citi card had a balance of $752 last month, making the utilization 13.7% (didn't think I'd be applying for a new card). Should I wait a month (making sure the utilization will be 1%)? Also, I'm probably going to get a raise in February (and bonus, but I don't know if those are counted in income), should I wait until then before applying?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Which card should I get?

14% to 1 % shouldn't be much of problem.

Since you dont need much credit just paid it now and wait a week after the statement cut off time to apply for something else. 

I would consider :

1. Amex BCE
  2. Discover 5% cash back and they do offer $150 cash back bonus for spend $1000 in three month.I will email you the link if you interest in. PM me for the info.
  3. US Bank +. 6.25% cash back to paid bill ........

Your credit file and score wil likely to approved for anything you apps for but dont apps for something that you dont like.

If you not intend to shop at walmart then dont apps for it. The great benefit about WM for most ppl with :

• Great credit limit increase for every 4 months ( GE )
  • Free Fico score ( Different version what we have here )
  • Cash discount like 5 cent for each gallon in Murphy Gas Station. Other than that i dont think its would be a card to apply for. If you intend to carry a balance then apps for Walmart because they generous with CLI and good for your Utili but if you dont then I suggest you should get some better Prime Card with great benefit.
  • Also Chase and City offer some good start promotion too.
  • Keep us updated and good luck.

PS : Apply everything you need in one day.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 10
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Not sure if this matters to you or not, but the Walmart Discover is backed by GE just like other store cards.

I thought that it was backed by Discover, but then learned that it was a GE card.

I don't know if or why that would matter, but yeah its GE and not actually backed by Discover.

Message 3 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

You cant apply for the walmart discover.  You apply for the walmart cc and the almighty system determins which card you get.  Theres no way to tell with walmart.  You can always add the 123 rewards to your current BOFA card.  Who do you bank with?  The chase checking+freedom combo is prob the best as far as small purchases go and cash back.  I cant speak for the BCE cause some will recommend you apply for a charge card first others wont.  I have no experience with amex

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think that usbank cash + would be a good card for you. Also Amex BCE or BCP.  Also, I haven't seen any negative reviews from fidelity Amex on this board. Several days ago, a forum member was approved for a 5k CL... So it is definitely do able.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@flyingpenguin wrote:

Hi. I discovered this forum recently and have been lurking, and now (surprise!) I'm thinking about applying for a new card. I think it makes sense for me. I'm 23, and in a perfect world I think I'd get one more card now, and then no more. Smiley Happy (Obviously doubt that will happen.) But I do want to limit the number of cards that I have, for simplicity and ease of management. No plans for a car or mortgage in the forseeable future, but I'm probably going to be looking for a new apartment next May, and any potential landlord will pull my credit. (Not too worried about that though, I don't think a 5-10 point drop will be big deal.)

I PIF every month, no baddies.

Current cards:

Citi Forward - 5500 limit - opened 7/09

BofA - 1700 limit - opened 7/07 (first card I opened when I turned 18, it's in the sockdrawer now)

Macy's Store Card - 100 limit - opened 6/08 (haven't used since I opened it but it reports every month)

I also have one paid off student loan and one active one (~$5000), if that's relevant. 

FICO EQ: 759 (5/2/11)

FAKO: (all past few days)

CK: 755

CS: 773

Quizzle: 734

I've been looking at the Walmart Discover, the Fidelity Investments Rewards Amex, and the Amex BCE.

Walmart Discover - I only want this for the free monthly TU score. But I've read that most lenders don't use the version that it provides. So then for me it's probably not worth the bother (having to occasionally put a charge on it to keep it active). 

Fidelity Amex - I already use Fidelity so the 2% cashback is very appealing to me. But reading the reviews kind of scared me off. Seems to have problems with declines and bad customer service. So is that worth the extra 1% back? I would want to put bigger purchases on it to get the 2% cashback, but I wouldn't want to deal things like airline tickets getting randomly declined... And it's not a "true" Amex card (doesn't come with the Amex perks).

Amex BCE - I'm interested in this card mainly for the Amex perks. I'm probably going to buy a new computer within the next year, so the extended warranty would be great. I spend <$100/month on groceries so the BCP isn't worth it for me. Also if I get this Amex now, any future Amex's would be backdated (assuming they continue to backdate). Do you think I'd be approved for this card?

I haven't really looked into cards with 5% cashback in rotating categories, because it seems like too much of a PITA to remember the current categories. But maybe you guys have found differently? 

Or maybe I should just wait and see if my spending habits change down the road?

If I do apply, a question about timing ... My Citi card had a balance of $752 last month, making the utilization 13.7% (didn't think I'd be applying for a new card). Should I wait t a month (making sure the utilization will be 1%)? Also, I'm probably going to get a raise in February (and bonus, but I don't know if those are counted in income), should I wait until then before applying?

hey flyingpenguin!  Welcome to the forums!   

Looks to me like you got a good jump start on your credit profile.  Smart move!!!  I'm thinking you could use a little more diversity in your profile for safety net and utility purposes.  Another Prime lender card would do you good.  If you are interested in the BCE, I'd say it's a good card to have and would benefit your profile.  You will be setting yourself up for future Amex cards and give you a little more wiggle room with regards to utility.  When choosing your next card, please take into account how you will be using it.  I firmly believe that if you are going to use credit, be rewarded for it.  Pick a rewards card that best suits your current spending needs.  In different times of your life, this may change and you can re-access then for different cards.  I think you are good to go on this app if you decide to apply.  One question- any recent apps and what is your AAoA?  Thanks and Good Luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 10
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Also as far as the extended warranty, does your Forward come extended warranty?

According to Citi's site, the forward comes with Extended Warranty and Purchase Protection.  See ↓  Is Amex's Extended Warranty different/better and Citi's?

Extended Warranty3

The terms of the original manufacturers' U.S. warranties (three year or less) may be extended up to one additional year on most items purchased on your card.

Retail Purchase Protection3

Most items purchased with your Citi Card are eligible for protection against theft, fire or accidental breakage of up to $500 for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.

Message 7 of 10
flyingpenguin
New Contributor

Thanks for all the responses! 

I think it's an ix-nay on the Walmart card ... I don't even live near one, lol.

@rootpooty wrote:

You cant apply for the walmart discover.  You apply for the walmart cc and the almighty system determins which card you get.  Theres no way to tell with walmart.  You can always add the 123 rewards to your current BOFA card.  Who do you bank with?  The chase checking+freedom combo is prob the best as far as small purchases go and cash back.  I cant speak for the BCE cause some will recommend you apply for a charge card first others wont.  I have no experience with amex

I bank with BofA. I just asked them to add the 123 rewards to my card a few days ago (after seeing a post here!) - should be getting the new card in a few weeks. Smiley Happy I'll looking into the Chase checking+Freedom combo, but I'm not really interested in opening another checking account...

@webhopper wrote:

I think that usbank cash + would be a good card for you. Also Amex BCE or BCP.  Also, I haven't seen any negative reviews from fidelity Amex on this board. Several days ago, a forum member was approved for a 5k CL... So it is definitely do able.

I just googled USBank Cash+ and it looks really promising! Thank you! 2% back on drug stores and 5% on flights would be great for me. 

@improvingmycredit wrote:

hey flyingpenguin!  Welcome to the forums!   

Looks to me like you got a good jump start on your credit profile.  Smart move!!!  I'm thinking you could use a little more diversity in your profile for safety net and utility purposes.  Another Prime lender card would do you good.  If you are interested in the BCE, I'd say it's a good card to have and would benefit your profile.  You will be setting yourself up for future Amex cards and give you a little more wiggle room with regards to utility.  When choosing your next card, please take into account how you will be using it.  I firmly believe that if you are going to use credit, be rewarded for it.  Pick a rewards card that best suits your current spending needs.  In different times of your life, this may change and you can re-access then for different cards.  I think you are good to go on this app if you decide to apply.  One question- any recent apps and what is your AAoA?  Thanks and Good Luck!

Thank you! No recent apps. I'm not sure how to calculate AAoA - do closed accounts figure into it? My youngest account is my active student loan, opened Oct 2010. 

@ccnewcc wrote:

Also as far as the extended warranty, does your Forward come extended warranty?

According to Citi's site, the forward comes with Extended Warranty and Purchase Protection.  See ↓  Is Amex's Extended Warranty different/better and Citi's?

Extended Warranty3

The terms of the original manufacturers' U.S. warranties (three year or less) may be extended up to one additional year on most items purchased on your card.

Retail Purchase Protection3

Most items purchased with your Citi Card are eligible for protection against theft, fire or accidental breakage of up to $500 for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.

I think you're right! Smiley Embarassed I guess I assumed it didn't... what an idiot. That's awesome though. Thanks for pointing that out! Smiley Happy

---

I'm going to look more into the USBank Cash+ card. I think that one would give the best rewards for my spending patterns. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
flyingpenguin
New Contributor

An update. I decided to apply for the US Bank Cash+ card. I really like the ability to choose the rewards categories. I decided to apply now because I have an upcoming business trip in December and it would be great if I could get my card in time to put the travel expenses on it. Smiley Happy 

I got this message: "We'll review your information and reply within 7-10 business days." I hope I get the cash+ version and not cash! I've read here of people calling in to check on the status on their application - which number do you recommend calling? Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

tel:1-800-947-1444

This is the number for underwriting.  Good Luck on your app.  I'm very interested in this app.  I was thinking you might be borderline approval due to limited credit profile with high limit cards.  I'm wondering if this is a hinderance or a +.  Just not sure with US Bank.  I wish you the very best and please let us know the outcome.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Cash+. Smiley Happy. Edit:  I think you will be approved for an account, I just don't know which one. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.