cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I use for upcoming trip....

tag
resilient
Established Contributor

Which card should I use for upcoming trip....

Dumb question, but this question is for those who are experts at maxxing out on rewards. I am flying to Hawaii from Atlanta for Christmas. The tickets for my daughter and I are about $2500 total. Unfortunately, Southwest does not fly to Hawaii yet, because I'd use my Southwest card to pay for it. I do not want to apply for any more cards because I'm buying a house in February/March. So, with the cards I have now, which one should I buy them with? WIll any of them give me better rewards than the other? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Which card should I use for upcoming trip....

Get a CSP and use it :-). You'll get $500 bonus reward travel if you app in branch and spend $2k in 90 days.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@resilient wrote:

Dumb question, but this question is for those who are experts at maxxing out on rewards. I am flying to Hawaii from Atlanta for Christmas. The tickets for my daughter and I are about $2500 total. Unfortunately, Southwest does not fly to Hawaii yet, because I'd use my Southwest card to pay for it. I do not want to apply for any more cards because I'm buying a house in February/March. So, with the cards I have now, which one should I buy them with? WIll any of them give me better rewards than the other? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Chase for the UR points 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I would use freedom and maybe buy thtru their rewards mall to get some cash back maybe 2 or 3%

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 13
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Get a CSP and use it :-). You'll get $500 bonus reward travel if you app in branch and spend $2k in 90 days.

Thats what I was going to say. I understand you don't want to apply for any cards but CSP would be best. Of the cards you have you might just want to use the freedom as someone else said for the UR points. I am from Hawaii, going back next month or December, depending on work. $2500 for 2 tickets sounds a little much, who did you book with?

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 5 of 13
resilient
Established Contributor

I JUST finished researching it, and saw that I'll get 2% extra from UR Mall. Thanks a lot guys!
Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@resilient wrote:
I JUST finished researching it, and saw that I'll get 2% extra from UR Mall. Thanks a lot guys!

Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 13
resilient
Established Contributor

Going to book with United; they're the cheapest for 24 December-30 December. The other airlines were between $150-300 more for their lowest rates. Going to book on UR Mall.
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah!
You get a 20% discount when using points on UR for that kinda stuff,
So are you gonna app CSP? Huh huh huh? Lol
:-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 13
resilient
Established Contributor

lol, CSP is my next card, I'll app for it in March. I just can't app right now because I am going to prequal for a mortgage and need some accounts to age and inquiries to fall off. Then I'll be in the dilemma of whether to keep my Southwest card, since I fly them exclusively and often, unless of course I'm flying to Hawaii, which they don't service yet.... Soon, but not soon enough. Also don't want two annual fee cards...my 6,000 anniversary points are better than CSP's zero....
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.