Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to add?

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Which card to add?

I want (need?) to add one more card to my portfolio of cash-back cards and am torn between Discover It and US Bank Cash+.

My current rewards cards are:

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom

PayPal Mastercard

I only use the BCP and Freedom since the rewards program on the PayPal card stinks.  I spend a lot on fast food and restaurants, so the US Bank Cash+ card could work well for me as those are two potential 5% categories that aren't handled by the BCP and Freedom.  Any compelling reason to go with It over the Cash+?

EDIT: Well now I see that the Cash+ can only be applied for in a US Bank branch, and there are none of those around here.  Discover It wins, I guess.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Which card to add?

Discover 5% CB based on each quarter.

Jan for movies and restaurant.

I love US bank with 5% cash back up to your choice but too bad im not qualify for it.

Currently own Discover and its my number 1 spending card. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

What about Citi Forward?

5% on restaurants, fast food, bookstores, movie theaters, and Amazon.

5% can only be used to pay student loans or mortgages though.  Gift cards and other types of rewards will only net you approximately 3.75% (I haven't bothered to do the exact math).

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 5
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

What about Citi Forward?

5% on restaurants, fast food, bookstores, movie theaters, and Amazon.

5% can only be used to pay student loans or mortgages though.  Gift cards and other types of rewards will only net you approximately 3.75% (I haven't bothered to do the exact math).

And Citi Forward is uncapped on those categories, as compared to Discover.  By using another Citi card, you can increase all TYP to 1:1, but not necessary if you are doing loans/mortgages/some gift cards

Cash Plus is better because it's 6.25% with bonus, but against that you would need to use two 5% (one for Fast Food, one for restaurants) and it's moot because, as you say,  you now need to apply in branch.

Message 4 of 5
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

I want (need?) to add one more card to my portfolio of cash-back cards and am torn between Discover It and US Bank Cash+.

My current rewards cards are:

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom

PayPal Mastercard

I only use the BCP and Freedom since the rewards program on the PayPal card stinks.  I spend a lot on fast food and restaurants, so the US Bank Cash+ card could work well for me as those are two potential 5% categories that aren't handled by the BCP and Freedom.  Any compelling reason to go with It over the Cash+?

EDIT: Well now I see that the Cash+ can only be applied for in a US Bank branch, and there are none of those around here.  Discover It wins, I guess.

@I would lean towards the Discover It. Looking @ your portfolio you do not carry a cash back CC which does not offer a no FTF, never know when that may come in handy! Especially now that Discover is excepted more in foreign countries via the DinersClub network.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.