Frequent Contributor
steve23111

Which card to add?

[ Edited ]

I want (need?) to add one more card to my portfolio of cash-back cards and am torn between Discover It and US Bank Cash+.

My current rewards cards are:

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom

PayPal Mastercard

I only use the BCP and Freedom since the rewards program on the PayPal card stinks.  I spend a lot on fast food and restaurants, so the US Bank Cash+ card could work well for me as those are two potential 5% categories that aren't handled by the BCP and Freedom.  Any compelling reason to go with It over the Cash+?

EDIT: Well now I see that the Cash+ can only be applied for in a US Bank branch, and there are none of those around here.  Discover It wins, I guess.

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

Re: Which card to add?

Discover 5% CB based on each quarter.

Jan for movies and restaurant.

I love US bank with 5% cash back up to your choice but too bad im not qualify for it.

Currently own Discover and its my number 1 spending card. :smileyvery-happy:

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

Valued Contributor
SnackTrader

What about Citi Forward?

5% on restaurants, fast food, bookstores, movie theaters, and Amazon.

5% can only be used to pay student loans or mortgages though.  Gift cards and other types of rewards will only net you approximately 3.75% (I haven't bothered to do the exact math).

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $22.200, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Chase CSP (4/14) $12,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Forward (12/12) $9,600, Chase Freedom (12/12) $5,000

Last App: April 2, 2014
Valued Contributor
bs6054

SnackTrader wrote:

What about Citi Forward?

5% on restaurants, fast food, bookstores, movie theaters, and Amazon.

5% can only be used to pay student loans or mortgages though.  Gift cards and other types of rewards will only net you approximately 3.75% (I haven't bothered to do the exact math).

And Citi Forward is uncapped on those categories, as compared to Discover.  By using another Citi card, you can increase all TYP to 1:1, but not necessary if you are doing loans/mortgages/some gift cards

Cash Plus is better because it's 6.25% with bonus, but against that you would need to use two 5% (one for Fast Food, one for restaurants) and it's moot because, as you say,  you now need to apply in branch.

Frequent Contributor
L-TWT

steve23111 wrote:

I want (need?) to add one more card to my portfolio of cash-back cards and am torn between Discover It and US Bank Cash+.

My current rewards cards are:

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom

PayPal Mastercard

I only use the BCP and Freedom since the rewards program on the PayPal card stinks.  I spend a lot on fast food and restaurants, so the US Bank Cash+ card could work well for me as those are two potential 5% categories that aren't handled by the BCP and Freedom.  Any compelling reason to go with It over the Cash+?

EDIT: Well now I see that the Cash+ can only be applied for in a US Bank branch, and there are none of those around here.  Discover It wins, I guess.

I would lean towards the Discover It. Looking @ your portfolio you do not carry a cash back CC which does not offer a no FTF, never know when that may come in handy! Especially now that Discover is excepted more in foreign countries via the DinersClub network.

Portfolio: Amex BCE (21.6k) | Cap1 QS VS (15k) | Citi Dividend WEMC (30K)

"Having a credit card is nice, but cash is king"

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+