cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to apply for with a 780 fico score?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which card to apply for with a 780 fico score?

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I like the idea of bringing another bank into the mix, but I also like the idea of the Chase trifecta (the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom, and a Sapphire). Because of 5/24 and Chase's sensitivity to new accounts, it makes sense to apply for Chase cards before others.

If the CSP is a good fit, I'd apply for it and product-change (PC) the Slate into a Freedom.

Product change would make my CL on my slate transfer to the freedom? 

Yes a PC would simply move the limit over.  If you did this you just call the # on back of your slate card and they should be able to handle it to PC it to the Freedom.

Message 11 of 42
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

A PC would leave you with exactly the same account except for the product itself. You'd have the same account opening date, history, and limit. The change would be in the rewards structure.

You'd likely get a very nice limit on an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (cash back, no fee) or Blue Cash Preferred (more cash back, annual fee). Along with that, limit increases are generally easy to obtain and generous. The downside to AMEX is that its acceptance rate is less than Visa or MasterCard, particularly out of the country. But you have other cards to pick up that slack.

Message 12 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I like the idea of bringing another bank into the mix, but I also like the idea of the Chase trifecta (the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom, and a Sapphire). Because of 5/24 and Chase's sensitivity to new accounts, it makes sense to apply for Chase cards before others.

If the CSP is a good fit, I'd apply for it and product-change (PC) the Slate into a Freedom.

Yes a PC would simply move the limit over.  If you did this you just call the # on back of your slate card and they should be able to handle it to PC it to the Freedom.

So would close down the Slate and increase the limit on my freedom and open the chase sapphire? or what's the purpose to this?

(Sorry still learning, thanks in advance)

Message 13 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

A PC would leave you with exactly the same account except for the product itself. You'd have the same account opening date, history, and limit. The change would be in the rewards structure.

You'd likely get a very nice limit on an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (cash back, no fee) or Blue Cash Preferred (more cash back, annual fee). Along with that, limit increases are generally easy to obtain and generous. The downside to AMEX is that its acceptance rate is less than Visa or MasterCard, particularly out of the country. But you have other cards to pick up that slack.

I just checked to see if I was prequalified for any of the AMEX and came back that I do have 3 cards prequalified which are
- Blue Cash Everyday Card
- Amex EveryDay Credit Card
- American Express Green Card

Message 14 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

So would close down the Slate and increase the limit on my freedom and open the chase sapphire? or what's the purpose to this?

You wouldn't close your SLATE card you would call up chase and ask them to PC(Product Convert) your Slate to the regular Freedom card aka rewards vs. worthless card Smiley Happy.  Once they/you agree it would keep the same CC # most likely and probably a dfferent expiration date but you would be sent a new card and your slate would cease to exist.  Although the PC aka new Freedom card would inherit the history of your SLATE card and it would essentially be the same card, but with rewards and retain the same CL.  

Then if you wanted to you could apply for the CSP (this would be your "new" account) and this would be a HP or two depending if they single or double pull you, no way you can control this but you are fine either way if you choose to go this route.  Does that make sense?

Also if you say get a 25k CL on the CSP or have more CL that you want on the Freedom or Slate you can ask for them to move CL's around between cards by without a HP to the card you use the most to "pad" utilzation if it ever reports so you don't get a score ding or as big of a score ding, etc.  Feel free to ask any more questions the forum is here to answer questions and help.

Message 15 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

The Chase trifecta would be great PC the slate to the freedom (no hp or new account) then pick up the CSP at least for a year as AF is waived for first year I believe and collect the 50k UR's then if needed you can downgrade to the no AF CS after a year if not happy.

Also consider picking up another bank as others stated.  I personally love PenFed the powercash 2% (1.5% if you don't have checking, otherwise 2% if you have checking and meet crrteria (card is awesome IMHO if you can hold $500 in the penfed checking account ) also they have great auto loan rates among other things if ever neeeded although I bet you would get a very nice CL with your scores assuming income is good.  CU's in the mix is always a very good thing to have IMO.  5 dollar min. redemption thresholds is all on it.  Mine currently sits at 35k limit.  

So suggest getting 2 cards vs. 1 and your profile should handle it well apply and get the CSP which should be an auto approval then pick up any 2% card, my recommendation is above but there are others.  CU's are just known to be more generous with CL's, etc.

Would it be wise to PC the slate into freedom, get the CSP and since will technically have 2 cards still apply for a third through another bank? or would my score take a big hit with two applications back to back? 

Message 16 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

The Chase trifecta would be great PC the slate to the freedom (no hp or new account) then pick up the CSP at least for a year as AF is waived for first year I believe and collect the 50k UR's then if needed you can downgrade to the no AF CS after a year if not happy.

Also consider picking up another bank as others stated.  I personally love PenFed the powercash 2% (1.5% if you don't have checking, otherwise 2% if you have checking and meet crrteria (card is awesome IMHO if you can hold $500 in the penfed checking account ) also they have great auto loan rates among other things if ever neeeded although I bet you would get a very nice CL with your scores assuming income is good.  CU's in the mix is always a very good thing to have IMO.  5 dollar min. redemption thresholds is all on it.  Mine currently sits at 35k limit.  

So suggest getting 2 cards vs. 1 and your profile should handle it well apply and get the CSP which should be an auto approval then pick up any 2% card, my recommendation is above but there are others.  CU's are just known to be more generous with CL's, etc.

Would it be wise to PC the slate into freedom, get the CSP and since will technically have 2 cards still apply for a third through another bank? or would my score take a big hit with two applications back to back? 

Honestly I would go for two.. Yes your score will get dinged initially, but will recover within a few months and end up stronger in the long run.  I would go for two cards if I were you.  What those cards are is up to you though.  I certainly would do the PC as that isn't a new account just getting awards for something you get nothing for now.  Then I would go for the card you want most next and honestly the CSP for at least the first year is a great card, but I would pick up another card with another lender whether that is Amex, Citi, BofA, etc for diversification and one that suits your needs as there are tons without AF's etc.  Your score is so strong the two card adding wouldn't really make to bad of temporary dent in your score.

Message 17 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

You wouldn't close your SLATE card you would call up chase and ask them to PC(Product Convert) your Slate to the regular Freedom card aka rewards vs. worthless card Smiley Happy.  Once they/you agree it would keep the same CC # most likely and probably a dfferent expiration date but you would be sent a new card and your slate would cease to exist.  Although the PC aka new Freedom card would inherit the history of your SLATE card and it would essentially be the same card, but with rewards and retain the same CL.  

Then if you wanted to you could apply for the CSP (this would be your "new" account) and this would be a HP or two depending if they single or double pull you, no way you can control this but you are fine either way if you choose to go this route.  Does that make sense?

Also if you say get a 25k CL on the CSP or have more CL that you want on the Freedom or Slate you can ask for them to move CL's around between cards by without a HP to the card you use the most to "pad" utilzation if it ever reports so you don't get a score ding or as big of a score ding, etc.  Feel free to ask any more questions the forum is here to answer questions and help.

Now it makes sense, thank you so much! Calling tomorrow to get that taken care of, since I rarely use the slate since it is worthless. 

I just read the other day, thanks for confirming it. 

Hypothetically speaking, I apply for the CSP and get a measly CL, can I call the "backdoor number" (not sure if that's the term, recall reading something about it a while ago) and request a higher CL? 

Message 18 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Honestly I would go for two.. Yes your score will get dinged initially, but will recover within a few months and end up stronger in the long run.  I would go for two cards if I were you.  What those cards are is up to you though.  I certainly would do the PC as that isn't a new account just getting awards for something you get nothing for now.  Then I would go for the card you want most next and honestly the CSP for at least the first year is a great card, but I would pick up another card with another lender whether that is Amex, Citi, BofA, etc for diversification and one that suits your needs as there are tons without AF's etc.  Your score is so strong the two card adding wouldn't really make to bad of temporary dent in your score.

On the Fico score that is offered through Chase I have green in just about every field except my length which is red at 3 years, but it recommends me having 3 cards/open accounts to be in the green. So was thinking after I PC the slate into the freedom, I could get the CSP and get a third one. Would that be wise? 

I am Pre-Approved for 3 cards through American Express, I'll check Citi, BofA to see if I have a couple there. Which is usually the best between those 3 banks? 

Message 19 of 42
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since you have 2 cards with Chase I would diversify, not keep all your eggs in one basket. How about a Citi card or Bank of America or a credit union or Amex.

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.