Which card to get? Citi Premier/Prestige/Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card to get? Citi Premier/Prestige/Chase Sapphire Preferred

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
I say CSP first. Don't know when you opened those other 4 accounts, but if it was all within the last 24 months you could risk getting shot down by the 5/24 rule if you go for the premier first.

This is absolutely the correct advice. Anyone saying to get anything else is giving bad advice and doesn't understand 5/24.

Would that still apply if I'm prequalified / preapproved for the card?

Yes, the online prequal is meaningless with regard to the 5/24 rule. Now, there have been reports of people with more than 5/24 going in branch and checking if they're prequalified with the branch system. Prequalification there and some pressure from a bank representative has gotten some people past 5/24.

Message 31 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
I say CSP first. Don't know when you opened those other 4 accounts, but if it was all within the last 24 months you could risk getting shot down by the 5/24 rule if you go for the premier first.

This is absolutely the correct advice. Anyone saying to get anything else is giving bad advice and doesn't understand 5/24.

It is not absolutely the correct advice. There are plenty of reasons to hold off on CSP, starting with the fees and the fit. If OP wants all three cards, then yes, CSP has to be first. However, that is most likely a waste of annual fees, as there is significant overlap amongst the cards. Perhaps Prestige is the better fit. Why should OP get CSP if he is only going to use Prestige? That's just a waste of annual fee money. Or, what if Ink Plus is the better option? That might make CSP redundant, since OP will already have the partner transfer options. Or, OP might not want to use CSP's partners. That would make CSP an especially bad choice.

I understand 5/24. I also understand that there is not a "one size fits all" approach to credit cards. Stop degrading other posters.

Message 32 of 36
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Well most of us wouldn't turn down 50k UR points if you held a gun to our head. And using annual fees as an excuse isn't really correct as it is waived year 1. OP could apply for all 3,find out which program better suits their needs and then cancel or pc the card(s) in the program they prefer least.
Message 33 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Well most of us wouldn't turn down 50k UR points if you held a gun to our head. And using annual fees as an excuse isn't really correct as it is waived year 1. OP could apply for all 3,find out which program better suits their needs and then cancel or pc the card(s) in the program they prefer least.

Fair enough. I still think OP should research before apping and that 5/24 isn't the be all end all of the discussion, but your strategy is a good one, especially if OP can get decent sign up bonuses for all three.

Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Fair enough. I still think OP should research before apping and that 5/24 isn't the be all end all of the discussion, but your strategy is a good one, especially if OP can get decent sign up bonuses for all three.

Isn't the new 50k bonus perm. ? & I realized one of my cards was opened 1 year and 6months ago so I would be able to get one card now and another one in 6months (and depending on what I like) I guess I'd keep one and cancel the other Smiley Happy and gives me enough time to spend the sign up bonus $$ requirements ^-^

Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both great cards in my opnion. Prestige is a awesome card but the annual fee is high. You can recoupe that fee pretty fast if you use the perks that come with the card though. $250 airfare credit per calandar year so you can get it twice in the first year. $100 global entry credit, lounge access (when we go to Vegas the lounge there would cost $35 each so saving $70 with that). Price rewind is great also used it on my smart watch which I already had a good deal on got a extra $31 back on that. Biggest perk has to be the 4th night free hotel benifit. You have to book through their travel agent and wait a day for a proposal but still a massive benifit. If you will use these this card is the way to go. Sapphire is awesome also though. Biggest benifit with it is 1:1 transfer to partners. Huge for me since I like southwest. Also primary car rental insurance and lower annual fee. After the $250 airfare credit the prestige card is really only a extra $100 so have to decide if you will use those perks and make it worth the money.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.