Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to get & AU help-New to credit Please help

tag
bmwman3241
Established Member

Which card to get & AU help-New to credit Please help

I am new to credit and have a few questions and would appreciate some help.

I currently have a secured card and am looking to apply for some new cards in the near future. I am new to credit and have no prior credit before July. Income is $18,000. My current goal is to have an AMEX SPG and other AMEX rewards card as well as a Chase CSP.  

Credit Karma-727    Credit Sesame-773

- I have a trip planned in February ($3,000 at a Starwood hotel) and would like to have the AMEX SPG by then if possible to earn extra points for my stay.

- I need to make some large purchases $7k, 3k, 2k in the next 2 months which I will pay in full, but would like to earn point or cashback on them.

My Cards-

Union Bank Secure $1,000 limit      July-13     ~50 Balance

AU Cards

CapitalOne QuickSilver   $3,250     Nov-13 (backdated to Feb-2002)

CapitalOne Platinum   $2,600     Nov-13 (backdated to Feb-2000)

AMEX SPG   $10,000          Nov-13 (Hasn’t shown up on CR report yet)

All 3 AU account have balances which get paid off before statement closing or PIF after. No negatives on any account.

I opened a Chase checking account a couple days ago and was told I was pre-approved for a Freedom card. I have checked AMEX, Discover, and CapOne pre approval and nothings shows up.

Questions

1. Which bank/card companies take into account AU accounts when applying for a card, and will take the higher limits into consideration?
  2. Although the Chase Freedom is pre-approved, what are my chances of being approved for it? Any guess on the limit I might get?
  3. When should I apply for the AMEX SPG? When should I apply for my first AMEX if SPG is not for new/average history?
  4. Any recommendations on which card to apply next?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which card to get & AU help-New to credit Please help

@bmwman3241 wrote:

I am new to credit and have a few questions and would appreciate some help.

I currently have a secured card and am looking to apply for some new cards in the near future. I am new to credit and have no prior credit before July. Income is $18,000. My current goal is to have an AMEX SPG and other AMEX rewards card as well as a Chase CSP.  

Credit Karma-727    Credit Sesame-773

- I have a trip planned in February ($3,000 at a Starwood hotel) and would like to have the AMEX SPG by then if possible to earn extra points for my stay.

- I need to make some large purchases $7k, 3k, 2k in the next 2 months which I will pay in full, but would like to earn point or cashback on them.

My Cards-

Union Bank Secure $1,000 limit      July-13     ~50 Balance

AU Cards

CapitalOne QuickSilver   $3,250     Nov-13 (backdated to Feb-2002)

CapitalOne Platinum   $2,600     Nov-13 (backdated to Feb-2000)

AMEX SPG   $10,000          Nov-13 (Hasn’t shown up on CR report yet)

All 3 AU account have balances which get paid off before statement closing or PIF after. No negatives on any account.

I opened a Chase checking account a couple days ago and was told I was pre-approved for a Freedom card. I have checked AMEX, Discover, and CapOne pre approval and nothings shows up.

Questions

1. Which bank/card companies take into account AU accounts when applying for a card, and will take the higher limits into consideration? 
  2. Although the Chase Freedom is pre-approved, what are my chances of being approved for it? Any guess on the limit I might get?
  3. When should I apply for the AMEX SPG? When should I apply for my first AMEX if SPG is not for new/average history?
  4. Any recommendations on which card to apply next?

Your biggest obstacle for high limits is thin file and income.  Chase has been known to not factor AU accounts so I would guess your CL to be close to your existing CL $1500-$2000

Since your MSD is lcoked in, you can apply next year although I'm not sure you will get the CL you are hoping for with SPG

Message 2 of 4
bmwman3241
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:

Your biggest obstacle for high limits is thin file and income.  Chase has been known to not factor AU accounts so I would guess your CL to be close to your existing CL $1500-$2000

Since your MSD is lcoked in, you can apply next year although I'm not sure you will get the CL you are hoping for with SPG

Thanks. What does it mean for "MSD to be locked in", and what is MSD? ALso, when should I apply for the SPG next year..January?

Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@bmwman3241 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Thanks. What does it mean for "MSD to be locked in", and what is MSD? ALso, when should I apply for the SPG next year..January?

MSD -member since date

if you are an Amex cardholder, your MSD for future cc's will be based on your first Amex cc.  

When end you should apply, that's hard to say...SPG is not one of their easier revolvers. I will let others chime in

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.