cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to get next?

tag
Contributor

Which card to get next?

The last card I was approved for was the NFL Visa which I got last December. Since then, my AAoA has taken a bit of a dip since I took out a small student loan at the beginning of the year. Luckily I'll be able to pay it back as I will retroactively receive a scholarship at the end of the year, but until then, I'm going to be slightly short on cash. So, I'm looking for a card with at least a 7 month 0% APR to tide me over until I get reimbursed. I'll be using it mainly for groceries and restaurants and occasionally gas.

You can see the cards I already have in my signature. I recently applied for the Blue Cash Everyday, but was declined due to the fact that my length of time with Amex is too short. 

What card would you recommend I app for? I don't know my scores right now, but I'd estimate my EQ is around 690.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Which card to get next?

Chase Freedom gets my vote. 0% APR for 15 months, plus $100 back after spending $500 in (I think) the first three months.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

How is your CR any baddies?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 18
Contributor

Nah, just a low AAoA (8 months) and a relatively short history (1 year 3 months). I did have fairly high utilization last month, but I have since paid all my balances off and am waiting until each statement cuts to app. 

The Chase Freedom looks good, but I'm a little worried about getting approved. How would it compare, approval-wise, to the Citi Forward Student?

Message 4 of 18
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I think you'd have a good shot at the Freedom even if it might require a recon. My DH got the Freedom through recon and his EQ was 682. The BoA 123 is also a good card for cash back on groceries and gas. Not sure what type of bonus they got but when I got it years ago, there was a similar $100 statement credit bonus. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 5 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@528491 wrote:

Nah, just a low AAoA (8 months) and a relatively short history (1 year 3 months). I did have fairly high utilization last month, but I have since paid all my balances off and am waiting until each statement cuts to app. 

The Chase Freedom looks good, but I'm a little worried about getting approved. How would it compare, approval-wise, to the Citi Forward Student?

Good chance of both but I would give the edge to freedom for perks and you have put all your ducks in  a row so to speak UTL low AAoA acceptable

Last thing make sure everything is updated on CR  

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Ask for increase from Barclay for 1.

Then either Amex BCE also 0% and if offered through creditcards.com can be 15 months and $200-$250 bonus or probably the BofA but check the pre-approvals on Citi or Chase along with BofA... the Citi and Chase ones have been good as gold for my partner and a post last week talked of the chase one with no issues and citi too.

Message 7 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Since you are a student, you might try Citi Forward.

By the way... Think you need to update your siggy. Are you still a gold spade with a recent Amex decline? Lol
Message 8 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would recommend Chase Freedom as well, good luck!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 18
Contributor

Am I technically out of the garden if the Amex denial was a soft pull? I was never clear on that.

I did try the preapproval sites, but they didn't come up with anything.

It looks like it's down to the Chase Freedom and the Citi Forward. I have to say, the $100 bonus on the Freedom looks mighty enticing, although I do remember there being times when they offered $250 or even $300.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.