Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to get rid of for CSP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card to get rid of for CSP?

Hi all, 

Figured i'd ask for some advice. I'm gardening until at least January of 2016. At that point, I intend on getting CSP and (maybe) Freedom. I will make CSP my primary card with either my Discover or a MC as the secondary. I only carry two cards at any given time.

Currently, I have five credit cards. I would REALLY prefer not to have more than five, so I will be looking to close at least one of mine at the time of getting CSP. Here are my current options: 

1. WF Platinum: My oldest account. I never use it, except for my Verizon Wireless bill, for the phone replacements. WF is my primary bank. Limit: $10,500.

2. Citi DC: My highest limit and current primary card. I hold no loyalty to Citi and personally hate their customer service. Limit: $14,100

3. Discover It: Probably my favorite card, even though it does not have the acceptance of a Visa or Mastercard. I love their CS and Discover Deals rocks. Limit: $11,400.

4. Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red:  It's my lowest limit and it's benefits aren't that great. The one caveat is that I currently have 77,000 AAdvantage miles and this card keeps them from expiring. I have been an AAdvantage member since 2002 and hold a level of loyalty to American Airlines for being there when I needed a few emergency flights. Limit: $10,000

5. Chase United MileagePlus Explorer: I really like this card. It's cheaply made, yes, but I love Chases CS and the two free passes to United clubs are really handy. I currently have 57,000 United miles. Limit: $10,500.

The two cards I would probably be unwilling to close would be WF Platinum (due to WF being my primary bank and the account being 4 years old) and Discover It (due to loving them). Have a feeling I know which card people will suggest, but definitely looking for opinions. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card to get rid of for CSP?

I personally think the CSP and freedom must go together. It just makes sense. Have you thought about getting both?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get rid of Wells Fargo. Carry 6 cards.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get rid of wf and dc and add csp and freedom
Message 4 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'd get rid of Wells Fargo. I'm not sure adding Freedom is necessary. It goes well with CSP, but your post seems to center around subtracting, not adding, so I'm not sure adding Freedom is a great idea unless you're going to get rid of two things.

I wouldn't get rid of Double Cash (unless you have a crappy limit or APR or something). 2% on everything is a good thing to have

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

W.h.y.

Message 6 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'd get rid of Wells Fargo. I'm not sure adding Freedom is necessary. It goes well with CSP, but your post seems to center around subtracting, not adding, so I'm not sure adding Freedom is a great idea unless you're going to get rid of two things.

I wouldn't get rid of Double Cash (unless you have a crappy limit or APR or something). 2% on everything is a good thing to have

The freedom 5% goes best with CSP.  Hence the double.   Plus, can transfer to United,

if you want the mileage to add up: a) chop Wells Fargo.  They will stay on report for ten years, then your other cards will have aged.  b) Chop double cash, easier to accumulate points, and the other cards, with combined higher spend blocks (2%, 3%, 5%, etc) add up to around 2% or more anyway.  You can later get a Citi aadvantage card for more AApoints, convert Barclays to Sallie Mae, and either arrival plus or ring for low apr (or keep aviator with Sallie Mae).

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just feel the same way about citi that the op does...if they're gonna make csp their primary why worry about it, even on 1x categories should be able to get close to 2cpp value

I only use my csp on travel and dining and have a 2% card for everything else but I'm also ok with having 10-15 cards
Message 8 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

W.h.y.

See my post as to why everyday spend can add up for mileage.  If trade DC for citi aadvantage card, double cards for AA points.

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just feel the same way about citi that the op does...if they're gonna make csp their primary why worry about it, even on 1x categories should be able to get close to 2cpp value

I only use my csp on travel and dining and have a 2% card for everything else but I'm also ok with having 10-15 cards

Depends in what succession they can acquire the Freedom and CSP.

It seems that it is much easier to get a cobrand+chase brand on the same day than it is to get two chase brand.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.