dangelo25

Which card to pay off first?

I have 3 cards with outstanding balances.  Visa 5k limit, RoomstoGo 4k limit and DiscountTire Card 2100 limit. I have several others but don't carry a balance.

My visa carries a balance because I use for better much everything. gas, groceries, bill, etc, to earn the rewards.  balance right now is $1700. I usually make about $1600/mo in payments on this card trying pay everything that use as monthly expenses off immediately. but some other things I've had to use on this card too. I have R2G and DiscountTire card which I used for a major purchases. Furniture for new house and my truck needed new tires a couple months ago.  Anyway. the current balance is $960 (0% interest until 6/2016) and $940 (0% interest until 4/2013) respectively.  Actually even the Visa has 0% through then end of this year. 

I feel like I'm more likely to carry or appear to carry a balance on the Visa than the other two, but I don't want to keep the balance that hight either.  So knock out the the Dept cards or the Visa? Afraid if I do the Visa. The balance may just be up again in a couple months anyway whether necessary or not.

TU score 760

Frequent Contributor
germaine47

Re: Which card to pay off first?

I would pay the 04/2013 0% first since the incentive will end first.

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Frequent Contributor
Autumnslight

Re: Which card to pay off first?

Pay the $940 with 0% until 4/2013 first, since you're less likely to run that back up, and it should hopefully remain at zero. Then work on paying the Visa, since that only has 0% interest until the end of this year.

Let the 0% until 2016 sit with just minimum payments until everything else is paid off. I'd even let it sit until closer to the time the 0% runs out, and apply any extra money to other debt that has interest, like a car loan or mortgage, then just pay off that card right before 6/2016.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}