cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to purchase iPhone 6 with for warranty - Discover IT or CSP?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Which card to purchase iPhone 6 with for warranty - Discover IT or CSP?

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, as an Android die-hard, I find iPhone fever absurd, but a reality.

Aren't you a little intrigued by the wi-fi volte capabilities with iPhone 6 and T-Mobile's collaboration?  

Message 51 of 72
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Aren't you a little intrigued by the wi-fi volte capabilities with iPhone 6 and T-Mobile's collaboration?  

You missed the "die-hard"!  In the reverse of the apple fan-boys, any feature is worthless until it's on Android, and then it is great.

Message 52 of 72
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

You missed the "die-hard"!  In the reverse of the apple fan-boys, any feature is worthless until it's on Android, and then it is great.

Hahaha...right, like how NFC was meaningless and larger screens stupid, until the new iPhone 5.5" with NFC enabled Apple Pay!  Now, it's can't wait to get in line to pay $800!

PS - Of course, unless Apple Pay implements correct merchant coding for my rewards cards, I'll never use it.

Message 53 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question about Amex coverage

I've heard before that as long as you have the Platinum card, it doesn't matter which Amex card (for instance, using an Amex SPG instead to purchase the phone) you use to purchase the phone, it should still get Platinum-level protection (i.e. loss coverage within 90 days). Is that true? Or do you need to physically swipe the Platinum card to get those benefits?

Message 54 of 72
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

One quick note...I don't think thi was mentioned...but depending on when you are planning to buy, now as a "preorder" or after next Friday...might not get your 5%...ShopDiscover says 

"Offer not valid on pre-order or pre-sale merchandise"

Great catch! Kudos Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 72
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question about Amex coverage

I've heard before that as long as you have the Platinum card, it doesn't matter which Amex card (for instance, using an Amex SPG instead to purchase the phone) you use to purchase the phone, it should still get Platinum-level protection (i.e. loss coverage within 90 days). Is that true? Or do you need to physically swipe the Platinum card to get those benefits?

In practice, this is true.  Amex has been known to extend Platinum privileges to other cards when a person has both.  However, the T&C specifically states that charges must be made on the Platinum for it the benefits to apply.

So, in short, in the case of a dispute, Amex has the option to reference the T&C and refuse "Platinum-like" benefits if charged on another card.

Message 56 of 72
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@TheClub wrote:

I used Discover. I'll pm them to make sure I get my 5%.

Also, Apple's pretty lenient with they're damage placement policy due to recent lawsuit. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences though.

What? Not true at all.

To OP - as many have said it, If you don't have AMEX and you were thinking about applying for you. Maybe bite the bullet and do it. If approved, make the first swipe the iPhone Smiley Happy Otherwise, Discover for the rewards would be nice.

I'm really not sure how the warranties work with Discover/MC/Visa but with AMEX, you're seriously almost always covered (unless the phone is lost/stolen and you don't have a plat). 

I personally get a new iPhone every year and never purchase AppleCare because of that. Luckily, I've had every iPhone since 2007 and have never needed to replace a phone due to damage. However, this time around, as this is the first time I'll be buying with AMEX I have that sense of protection (for the first 90 days at least). 

Message 57 of 72
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

Are we really getting ShopDiscover 5% on purchase of iPhone 6?  When I select Apple I see Exceptions- iPhone6, iPhone6 Plus, pre-order, pre-sales merchandise, iTunes... Smiley Sad

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 58 of 72
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditPlay wrote:

Are we really getting ShopDiscover 5% on purchase of iPhone 6?  When I select Apple I see Exceptions- iPhone6, iPhone6 Plus, pre-order, pre-sales merchandise, iTunes... Smiley Sad

Historically, every cashback site I've ever been on has always excluded "iPhone" purchases.

Message 59 of 72
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

If you look big picture if you arebuying phone with contract the difference between using shop discover and an amex cash back card is about twelve dollars for a three hundred dollar phone.to me I rather have the safety of amex insurance for those twelve dollars 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 60 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.