Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card would you choose?

tag
WIDSMI
Regular Contributor

Which card would you choose?

I need to choose between 2 different credit cards...

Fidelity 2% Amex.... or the PenFed cashback rewards

The only advantage I see with the PF card is that you get cash back that month and you get 5% on gas....

So here is my delima... I usually get my gas at Costco which is usually more then 3-5% chaper then most stations around and they only take Amex so I couldn't use the Penfed card there...

With the Fidelity Amex I get 2% on EVRYTHING... Penfed is 1.25% on all other purchases I think....

I know most places may not take Amex... so I was thinking I would get a Fidelity Visa as well.... 1.5% cash back on Everything....

What would you do???? I am thinking about just getting the Fidelity amex and visa and have my rewards go directly into my IRA.... but what would you do???

FYI--- ALL CARDS WILL BE PAID IN FULL....I DO NOT CARRY A BALANCE
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Which card would you choose?

not sure where you live, but these days almost everyone except maybe small independent stores take amex.

so I would go with the best rewards for you and 2% plus gas sounds like best option for you 

Message 2 of 7
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

OP, sounds like you're leaning toward the Fidelity Amex, but then you say you may pick up their Visa as well?  So that's two accounts you're thinking of adding.  If that's the case, I'd get the Fidelity Amex and the PenFed Cash Back Visa.  That gives you more diversity....two lenders....and PenFed is incredibly generous once you're in with them.  I use PenFed for the 5% gas and 2% groceries regularly.  It's my "go to" card and the best card I've ever carried.  The monthly statement credit with no minimum threshold to cash in the rewards is awesome.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

not sure where you live, but these days almost everyone except maybe small independent stores take amex.

so I would go with the best rewards for you and 2% plus gas sounds like best option for you 

Credit,

I know you like AMEX but sooo much? lol.. Smiley Tongue You should be an ambassador for AMEX!!!

Anyway, I have the penfed visa and absolutely love it. Its a visa so accepted almost everywhere and the cash back rewards are amazing - I just charged about 1k on it and pif before statement cuts mid month next month and its a CU so cust service is excellent and once the r/ship builds you should be golden in the future.

However, if you were going to get the amex and the visa - might as well get the amex and the penfed!

Message 4 of 7
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Credit,

I know you like AMEX but sooo much? lol.. Smiley Tongue You should be an ambassador for AMEX!!!

Anyway, I have the penfed visa and absolutely love it. Its a visa so accepted almost everywhere and the cash back rewards are amazing - I just charged about 1k on it and pif before statement cuts mid month next month and its a CU so cust service is excellent and once the r/ship builds you should be golden in the future.

However, if you were going to get the amex and the visa - might as well get the amex and the penfed!

+1

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 5 of 7
-RED
Regular Contributor

AMEX Is over-rated, I'd Go w/PF!
-800 or Bust...!
Message 6 of 7
wajj
Contributor

If you're paying in full, consider getting both.  The Fidelity AMEX is an EX (and maybe TU also) pull while PenFed is an EQ pull.  They won't see each other. 

Use PenFed for gas away from Costco and for the odd grocery purchase (2% reward there matches the AMEX reward) and use the AMEX for everything else.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.