cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card would you give an extra chunk of money to?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card would you give an extra chunk of money to?

First, we're not paying interest on any CCs. Between DH and I we have 5 CCs with 0%. We had several more, but I did what I needed to to get the smaller ones paid off. I left a bit on Care Credit, planning to pay it off 5/1. Now I'm second guessing which would have a bigger effect on scores. Paying that CC to $0 or giving my Discover some breathing room (currently at 98%). WWYD? 

If it impacts your decision, the Care Credit is me only and the Discover is mine with DH as an AU. We're in the midst of a HELOC and/or possible refi, so I am trying to optimize scores now (I know in the long run it won't matter). 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card would you give an extra chunk of money to?

@Anonymous wrote:

First, we're not paying interest on any CCs. Between DH and I we have 5 CCs with 0%. We had several more, but I did what I needed to to get the smaller ones paid off. I left a bit on Care Credit, planning to pay it off 5/1. Now I'm second guessing which would have a bigger effect on scores. Paying that CC to $0 or giving my Discover some breathing room (currently at 98%). WWYD? 

If it impacts your decision, the Care Credit is me only and the Discover is mine with DH as an AU. We're in the midst of a HELOC and/or possible refi, so I am trying to optimize scores now (I know in the long run it won't matter). 

Pay that Discover down. 98% is WAY too much...

Message 2 of 9
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Discover is hurting you the most.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that was what I came up with last night. You know, those thoughts you have right before you go to sleep. I SO want to get another card 'checked off', but that seems to make the most sense. I will put a link to this thread on my calendar for the day I sit down and pay bills. Smiley Wink Thanks. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, that was what I came up with last night. You know, those thoughts you have right before you go to sleep. I SO want to get another card 'checked off', but that seems to make the most sense. I will put a link to this thread on my calendar for the day I sit down and pay bills. Smiley Wink Thanks. 

I completely understand wanting to zero out cards one at a time, but in this situation you need to get that Discover way down first. It may not feel as good to you because it's more to keep up with but such is life I suppose Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not the 'keep up with', it's the 'check off the list'. Smiley Very Happy 

But I've gone from paying down 9 cards (1 charging interest) in January, to 7 cards (1 charging interest) when I found this site, to 5 cards (0 charging interest) now. I want to get to 4. Smiley Happy 

This last one is $600. After that, they're all 4-5 digit numbers and I won't have any more quick wins. But...I'll survive. Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But I've gone from paying down 9 cards (1 charging interest) in January, to 7 cards (1 charging interest) when I found this site, to 5 cards (0 charging interest) now. I want to get to 4. Smiley Happy 

This last one is $600. After that, they're all 4-5 digit numbers and I won't have any more quick wins. But...I'll survive. Thanks again. 

Good luck to you and keep us updated if you'd like! Everyone here likes to share and help whenever we can Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Those are accomplishments in and of themselves. Good job. You keep this up and you'll be at 0 across the board. Good luck! Keep us posted! Smiley Happy Heart

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say Discover as that 90% + util is hurting the most. Do keep us updated. It is great to pay to zero but this will have the biggest bounce to your score, and that is what you need right now.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.