cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are EASIER and MORE DIFFICULT to get?

tag
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

Which cards are EASIER and MORE DIFFICULT to get?

I've notied that Capital One is easier to get their cards-I've gotten 3 easily, whereas Discover is more difficult to where I have spent 3 or 4 worthless hard pulls just to get denied.

Any other cards that are easier?

**Message was edited from my words of conservative and liberal...lol**

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Which cards are liberal and conservative?

Not sure Liberal versus Conservative is the right words (given the election). Different under-writing criteria.

It can be more difficult to meet the Discover criteria versus the Capital One criteria credit wise. 

If you are looking for what I might call generous credit lines you might look into a few Credit Unions. Still they will each have their unique underwriting standards.

Message 2 of 31
redpat
Senior Contributor

It must be an election year........

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 31
sr383
Regular Contributor

A few things I've read suggest that Discover likes a smaller collection of cards, so it might make sense to make it one of the first targets, once scores are sufficient.

Chase has the 5/24 rule to contend with. And US Bank is widely seen as a conservative, er ... "careful" lender.

Synchrony seems to be an easy grab, but could just as readily take everything back.

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are EASIER and MORE DIFFICULT to get?

I'm not sure Discover is more difficult. Mostly, they're just more weird. No doubt Cap One is one of the easiest. If one qualifies for membership, NFCU is also pretty easy. Lots of people think that Amex is tough. They really aren't, and haven't been for a while now. Tougher cards? Simmons comes to mind. And Citi can be tough.

Message 5 of 31
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure Discover is more difficult. Mostly, they're just more weird. No doubt Cap One is one of the easiest. If one qualifies for membership, NFCU is also pretty easy. Lots of people think that Amex is tough. They really aren't, and haven't been for a while now. Tougher cards? Simmons comes to mind. And Citi can be tough.

CT's assessment of Discover is right on. People with my type of profile can get approved for a decent limit and then you read about people with good profiles and no negatives getting a paltry limit or denied all together.

Citi is tough. If you have a 60 day late on your report, period (doesn't matter how old), they will deny you. That's my denial reason was, and that was for a Best Buy card a while back lol.

Cap 1 is definitely the easiest and a lot of cases generous. You can see my sig to get an idea. Just keep in mind my limit was from combing 3 cards. Either way they were the highest limits of what I have, or have had to date. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 31
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

Just a quick addition that folks haven't touched on yet:

Different products from the same lender will have different criteria as well.  AMEX Delta Gold is purportedly much easier to get than Blue Cash Everyday, for example.  Barclay Ring is supposed to be a tougher one as well, while other stuff from Barclays might be easier (or harder?  I'm not familiar with many of their cards outside of the Ring).

Personally, my only outright denial was US Bank Cash+.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card did you apply for?

I managed to get a Discover Student card at 20, with a very limited credit profile and only school loans to my name.

I'd like to add that I was also working as well as going to school, so that I assume looked positive in the eyes of Discover.

From that card, i spoke to CS and "graduated" to a CashBack card once I left college. They also expanded the credit line as I've gotten older.

Message 8 of 31
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

This is a very debated topic... Like personally I can't get a Capital One card but Ive gotten Chase, BofA, U.S. ban, blispay etc...
Message 9 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Cap1 Easiest.. Probably Citi is toughest (although depending on many factors).  This isn't including smaller banks like Simmon's, Iberia, etc.. Just the main ones

Discover is just bi-polar that is what makes them tough as stated they will decline people well into the 700's with clean files and approve ppl right out of bk7 with decent limits. Most all my cards are between 10k-35k CL's with a medium of around 15kish CL, Discover just recently approved me for a whopping 1k.. Guess it better than a denial, but shows you they like smaller profiles with less cards at least IMO.  I will get the limit up, but sucks when all my other cards have big limits and dont have to micromanage them

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.