Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are known to give 5k+?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Which cards are known to give 5k+?

@Creditplz wrote:
So at the current moment in time I don't plan on applying for anything but that will change I'm assuming by December. All my current cards are $500-1500 limit, (not including business cards) I'm thinking of which banks would give me my first 5k and the one that always comes into my mind is Capital One, I plan to be 700 on all 3 major CRA, Fico 8. Which other cards would you all recommend?.

Not going to go into specific cards, but just mention lenders to consider in general. Cap 1 will tend to give a highert initial credit limit assuming you qualify for it. You could also go the amex route and then over time do the 3x CLI to get to that level as well. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

If you want a garanteed 5k line, get the CSP, if you want a 15k line, get the United ClubHeart

The CSP requires a 5k line. Chase won't just give it out. All that will happen is Chase will look to see if someone is elgible and if they are not qualified for a 5k line then Chase will deny the application. Not a good card for trying to get your first 5k+ line and chase credit lines are hard to grow without additional HPs for CLIs. 

;
Message 12 of 23
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
Chris, all my current cards were obtained to maximize my rewards, BofA 3-2-1 is used for gas, Discover is getting ready for 5% on dining out, etc... I'm asking this because I'm in need of a Utlization buffer, hate seeing my scores take a ding every month because I run all my business expenses on personal to maximize rewards.

You can keep your reported balance down by paying to zero on the due date then continue to use your cards as normal.  It sounds like you have things under control but often when we see someone who needs a high limit to pad utilization it is a sign of bad things to come. 

Message 13 of 23
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

If you want a garanteed 5k line, get the CSP, if you want a 15k line, get the United ClubHeart

The CSP requires a 5k line. Chase won't just give it out. All that will happen is Chase will look to see if someone is elgible and if they are not qualified for a 5k line then Chase will deny the application. Not a good card for trying to get your first 5k+ line and chase credit lines are hard to grow without additional HPs for CLIs. 

Chase doesn't always require a 5k line for CSP, when I applied for CSP, my biggest line at the time was 1.7k.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think that post meant the minimum for the CSP, thus a $5k CSP is required as it's the minimum.

of course they can be your FIRST 5k line but you can't get a $4900 CSP.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

that post of mine was a little bonkers. beer is getting me but you get the picture lol
Message 16 of 23
jeffery581
Established Contributor

So Far Citi, Synchrony, and Discover for me.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 17 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Chase doesn't always require a 5k line for CSP, when I applied for CSP, my biggest line at the time was 1.7k.

No, I'm saying that the CSP requires that they can approve you for a 5k line. If they can't give you at least 5k credit on the CSP then you can't have the CSP and it is a denial. 

;
Message 18 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Most signature cards will start at 5K but keep in mind that your profile and income has to warrant this CL first.  So if for util purpose you can always pay before statement cut date and let smaller amounts report and you will not get tanked your score. Only apply for cards you qualify for and make sense from your spending pattern.  If you use it for business then why not get a business CC with rewards?

Message 19 of 23
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

QuickSilver and Venture are hard to beat.

QS = 1.5% cash back, $0 annual fee, $100 bonus, 0% for 10 months.

Venture = 2% back, $59 annual fee (waived first year), $400 bonus.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.