cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are on your chopping block?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are on your chopping block?

I cancelled my USAA RateAdvantage card. I had originally gotten it for the low rate to BT other cards to. But now that I have four other Visa/MasterCards with lower APRs (and no BT fees), it made the USAA card redundant for me.

Message 51 of 64
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Citi American Airlines WEMC, Amex Business Green, and Victoria's Secret.

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 52 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cutting my only secured card. Capital One is awesome for giving me a shot, and I don't need it anymore. So after this last statement gets reported, which would mark a year with it, it is done.
Message 53 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I expect to close my Walmart card in the future.  Really got it for the score back in the day before TU FICO 8 became the most readily accessible of all consumer scores, so it's been kinda useless since then and it's a pain to keep reporting as it should.

I was on the fence on closing my DCU Secured card recently as part of my post-mortgage credit shuffling as I couldn't get their graduation deal and I didn't want to go all in on what their front-line CSR said (badgering the origination department waving around the email and their current Answers post apparently has worked for some people), but decided to simply request a CLD on the card which was utterly easy freeing up $1500 and leaving the bare minimum $500.  I'm fine with that for now as I never really used that card but I know I can keep it forever short of if I screw up business wise in the future resulting in some form of a BK, as I doubt I'll need to come back for the remaining balance anytime otherwise.  Part of the emergency fund even if it's not quite accessible as easily as I'd like.

        
Message 54 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Chase Amazon Visa, and PayPal Extras MasterCard. The PayPal card is completely useless to me now that I have higher quality cards in my file, I suppose the only benefit is that it's currently my only MasterCard, but I don't really care about that and plan to get the DoubleCash next year. Just waiting until later this year after I've had it for more than a year (I'd rather not close accounts under a year old, just a personal preference thing).

The Chase Amazon is useless to me now that the Prime Store Card gives 5%, plus Discover and Freedom often have Amazon as well. I'm going to move the limit on that over to my Freedom once I've had the card open for a year (which isn't until next year).

Message 55 of 64
northface28
Established Contributor

I have two Venture, one a Visa Signature and one a World Mastercard. The World Mastercard has no AF and close 150,000 miles on it. The Visa Signature has an AF, If I cant get it permanently waived, ill roll the $15k limit into my $20k WMC Venture and be on my way.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 56 of 64
lokobo
Regular Contributor

Amex platinum and Chase sapphire preferred.  Nice cards but I just don't travel enough to reap the benefits and justify the AF haha

Message 57 of 64
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I am in the same boat, i have cut some already in the last week:

Chase Freedom - All the 5% rotators are mehhh,if it has overlapping rewards with It i will choose It

Citi TY Premier - Got the signup bonus, cashed out 54,444 points for gift cards, mediocre reward rate and high AF

AMEX BCP - 4.75% CB after AF, plus you have to "keep track" of how much CB you have earned per yer, i dont have time in my life for this anymore 

US bank Cash+ - Once they removed restaurantes, this card was over for me (and most others), i can never get enough spend for any usable CB, just a couple bucks a month, seems like a waste

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 58 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Credit One for me. I know they are not in the same league as the Citi's, Amex and BoAs (not even worth comparing)...but yes on the chopped block already

Message 59 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am considering closing out my Everyday Preferred and moving it's limit over to my Starwood. It's only $12,000 rolling into a $14,000 limit so maybe won't have to send in 4506-T

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.