Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards don't grow for you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which cards don't grow for you?

I'm not sure what I have done wrong but I seem to have some cards that won't grow. My Target is $200 and has never grown in 2 years. My Walmart $225 and hasn't grown one penny since the inital credit line. My best buy mastercard hasn't grown- I think that is still at $500. (they actually said I don't have a best Buy card that will grow). Old navy $100 I believe and I have a couple others.

Ok all these cards are paid off. Get used some and paid off.

What am I doing wrong- why can't I get a higher credit line store card or why won't my little cards grow?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards don't grow for you?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure what I have done wrong but I seem to have some cards that won't grow. My Target is $200 and has never grown in 2 years. My Walmart $225 and hasn't grown one penny since the inital credit line. My best buy mastercard hasn't grown- I think that is still at $500. (they actually said I don't have a best Buy card that will grow). Old navy $100 I believe and I have a couple others.

Ok all these cards are paid off. Get used some and paid off.

What am I doing wrong- why can't I get a higher credit line store card or why won't my little cards grow?

Unfortunately, your portfolio of cards are not known for CLIs (especially the Best Buy MC).

If you have good history with these cards (i.e. no lates, decent UTIL), trying applying for a "prime" card.  CITI Forward is a good starter card which will grow a lot quicker than what you've listed.

Do you know your FICO?  Your score will help determine what products are within your reach.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you asked your card providers for CLI's?.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not your fault, the cards you listed don't grow. Not for most people anyway. I would suggest apping for a new card.
Message Edited by Justn on 07-28-2009 05:54 AM
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried for cli's and no luck. I have been paying down credit balances on my other cards as fast and as much as I can. I have made a dent in my balances but not all my other cards are paid off.

Some threads I read here say some are getting cli's and some cld's on thier cards in general. When will this all level out?

Message 5 of 7
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

What kind of scores do you have?
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

GEMB has a reputation for toy limits that grow like molasses or not at all, of course there are some notable exceptions but compared to other issuers they often seem to come off as rather stingy with initial CL and CLI.  AFAIK, one doesn't fair any better with hsbc backed store cards.  while the economy is certainly a factor, the cards you mention appear to be from issuers who often offer low limits, even during good times.

you can find better cards for growth if you do some more reasearch here and other sources before applying.  it REALLY pays to get a better sense of the reputation of an issuer to ensure they uphold your agenda for growth, etc.  it can make the difference between a great fit and a rather disappointing pairing with a low limit clunker that may never grow.  i have one with capital one 400 to 750 in 8+ years :smileysad:

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.