cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards reports Authorized Users to credit bureaus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which cards reports Authorized Users to credit bureaus?

My wife has long been an authorized user on a most of my cards. However, they mostly DON'T appear on her credit report. I assumed that this is because she didn't have an SSN until recently (I was on a work visa that didn't entitle her to work--now she's got her own work auth). So now that she has a SSN I am calling the cards where she is an authorized user and updating them.

Here were my results so far in getting her SSN added:

-- Amex was easy peasey, they updated it over online chat, took about 5min

-- CITI did it, but they made a big deal out of making me call the fraud department, took 20min on the phone

-- Bank of America made her go into a branch with her SSN card, updated it, but told her in branch that it won't report to the bureaus, tried to convince her to sign up her own card (which we refused to do to avoid the unnecessary hard pull)

-- Chase flat out said they don't do this, won't take an SSN for an authorized user

-- Discover wouldn't previously let me add her as an AU without an SSN, now that she has one, I added her as an AU and they sent the card

-- RBC Bank said they don't do it and won't report it, the agent on the phone said, "we don't even know if your authorized user is a real person, you could add your dog as an authorized user, we don't check". I cached that interesting tidbit in case I ever want a credit card for my dog.

So I guess my question is about BofA and Chase -- do others have this experience that authorized user of those cards don't show on credit reports? I find that somewhat unusual.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards reports Authorized Users to credit bureaus?

I do know for a fact Chase reports AUs to all bureaus. They don't use SSN data, but the bureaus use the information provided without the SSN to match to a profile they have in their system. I do believe BoA does report as well...

Message 2 of 7
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Chase

DW and I are AU on each other’s cards and all AU report.

BofA 

See my answer for ChaseSmiley Tongue

i think maybe the Chase CSR misunderstood the question or maybe just a bit uninformed

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience, Chase, Discover, Amex, Synchrony, Citi, & Navy Federal all report AU's.  

Message 4 of 7
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I'm an authorized user on my husband's Chase card - call them back and try again.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 as well. My mom made me an AU on her card and it showed up on my reports.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks all.

So what I'm hearing is that Chase should be showing up based on other information. I'll look into that. 

Bank of America the expectation is that now that we provided her SSN it should start showing up, so it sounds like the person in the branch gave incorrect information there. We'll watch for it to appear! I'm hoping this one in particular will report because it's one of my older cards (3 years, not that old) and should pull up her AAoA a lot if it does. I'm hoping to get her AAoA up over 2 years.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.