Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards should I close out? NEED Help/Advice

tag
Skins2311
Established Member

Which cards should I close out? NEED Help/Advice

Ok guys so I want to close 1-2 more cards as  I currently have too many CC's for my liking. Here is a breakdown of my credit:

Zales (opened 6/2007): 500 CL/ $0 balance

Chase (opened 5/2007 : 300 CL / $0 balance

Cap 1 (opened 10/2007) : 500 CL/ $ 0 balance - CLOSED ACCT TODAY! Smiley Happy

Amex Zync (opened 5/2010) - Charge Card

Macys: (opened 8/2010) 1.5K CL /  $0 balance

Banana: (opened 3/2011) 7.6K CL / $1450 balance

BOA: (opened 10/2011) 1K CL/ $0 balance

Discover More: (opened 6/2012) 4K CL / $0 balance

Citi TY (opened 6/2012) : 8K CL / $0 balance

Total Credit (minus Cap 1): $22,912.00

Utilization: 6%

With all this information, which card(s) should I close out? Also will closing accts on the same day have any type of negative affect on my credit?!

Thanks in advance guys!

Starting Score: EQ 696 TU 709
Current Score: EQ 746 TU 742 as of 5/12 Ex. 732 as of 6/1/12 (Off EX. website)
Goal Score: 760 by 12/31/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Which cards should I close out? NEED Help/Advice

@Skins2311 wrote:

Ok guys so I want to close 1-2 more cards as  I currently have too many CC's for my liking. Here is a breakdown of my credit:

With all this information, which card(s) should I close out? Also will closing accts on the same day have any type of negative affect on my credit?!

Thanks in advance guys!

Closing accounts won't have any negative effect except for lowering your available credit for utilization unless they have Annual Fee. Also your credit line will disappear in 10 years, so 10 years from now you might be wishing you didn't close them if your AAoA changes, but with as many cards as you have it doesn't look like it'll matter 10 years from now.

I think the general concensus on the board has been to keep the cards open if there's no annual fee and store them away in a sock drawer, or put them in a baggie and freeze them in a block of water, or just straight cut up the cards and let the accounts hang open with 0 balance and if you ever need the card again you can order a new one.

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Skins2311 wrote:

Thanks in advance guys!

Is that $7,600.00? on a Banana Store Card or Banana Visa?

I don't think I have EVER seen over $5k on a GE Card related to Clothes!!

Thats so odd that it was leaps and bounds higher then all your CL's until the recent Citi!

You own part of the store or something!!

Okay sorry back on task... Why close any?

Chase get the Prez Office number and call and say you have multiple cards now with $5-6k and up and you need Chase to get in the game with a similar CL and with a SP or you need to close the account! (888-622-7547)

Ask for CLI with Macy's (SP)

See if BofA will do CLI with SP but seems lately not sure about

Message 3 of 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Chase get the Prez Office number and call and say you have multiple cards now with $5-6k and up and you need Chase to get in the game with a similar CL and with a SP or you need to close the account! (888-622-7547)

Not to steal thunder from the OP, but do you think this would work? I put about 3k/mo on my Chase card since I also have a chance account, between their 10&10, 5% rotating rewards (i killed w/ gas & restaurants), and UR "earn faster", it's def my favorite card, but the 3K limit is hurting me, esp with the size of my other cards. I'd be worried they'd call my bluff and let me cancel Smiley Happy I did call the EO once, and they refused to do a SP, said it had to be an HP.

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@seigex wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Not to steal thunder from the OP, but do you think this would work? I put about 3k/mo on my Chase card since I also have a chance account, between their 10&10, 5% rotating rewards (i killed w/ gas & restaurants), and UR "earn faster", it's def my favorite card, but the 3K limit is hurting me, esp with the size of my other cards. I'd be worried they'd call my bluff and let me cancel Smiley Happy I did call the EO once, and they refused to do a SP, said it had to be an HP.

I can't say personally because I no longer have any Chase Credit Cards and as much as I push and push I still can not convince my partner of why it would be worth the time to even call in on his what was a $1k line opened with is $8k auto loan, now $1500 visa... mind you at time of auto loan credit score was 802!

I swear why have a 800 credit score if you don't feel it's worth applying for new credit... I took him from 90% Debit Card user to a 99% Amex Costco User (Which yes I did tell him would be best and get that) BUT we know do 95% of our Grocery between Pavilions and TJ so Blue Plus Preferred would warrant SO MUCH MORE and then add in the new USBANK Cash+ what not... it's like 5% all time on 80-90% of spending!

I understand "He doesnt need any more credit" as he states but almost in same breath, Im up to $450 cash back this year on Costco! Im like now double that!! and still no!!!

sorry off topic a bit! LOL

He NEVER uses the card and weekly gets checks and probably still wouldn't use it with a limit to match his credit report but it still just urks me knowing it's there and seeing the success in the Prez office lately.

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Skins2311 wrote:

Thanks in advance guys!

I'd be calling into Chase executive offices about a CLI, thats too low compared to your other lines.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.