Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards should I try to apply for?

tag
Firefox2014
Established Member

Which cards should I try to apply for?

Hello all,

I have been a longtime lurker in these forums and have recieved plenty of useful advise to increase my credit history.

Im 26 years old, I had never had a credit card mainly because I did not want to fall in financial debt as soon as hit 18 and used redit cards like crazy,

That been said, it was not a very informed decision as everything now requires a credit history. Back in Nov 2013 I decided to go ahead and apply for credit

though CB Motorola and CC Bill me later, both apps were denied and decided to apply through Capital One, I was offered the Secure MC for $49  for a credit limit of $200.00

I researched on CC use and how to maintain a healthy  credit history, for the last six months i kept my utilization at or  below 30% this month it reported as 4% due to Capital One increasing my CL to $500.00. I now want to apply for other credit cards so I increase my TL's and not have an huge  AAoA impact if apply later. I not sure which credit cards to apply for im scared of been  denied and taking a hit with HP's , my current Fico scores are 628 for Experian, 617 for Equifax and 642 for Transunion,  My annual income is $30,500. I as looking into another Capital One, Barclays, Discover IT or the Chase Freedom . whats do you guys recommend any advice will be extremly helpful.

Thanks,

ps- I do have one collections account $161 that was paid in full and shows as paid on all 3 credit reports, this was 1 y 4 months ago.

Starting 06/07/2023 Vantage Scores
Transunion 670 Experian 0 Equifax 0
Approved for Cap 1 6/9/2023 / Spouse added me to Amex BCE ( not reporting yet)
8/15/2023
Transunion 721 Experian 691 Equifax 677 (Vantage)
Transunion 701 Experian 693 Equifax ? (Fico)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Which cards should I try to apply for?

I know cap1 is more lenient on things. You could for quicksilver mastercard. Also down the road you can call for the AF to be removed/waived. Just contact the EO for that.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 14
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

You could try Discover
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 3 of 14
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I would suggest apping for a Walmart card. With your scores and history you have a good chance on being approved. They might start you out with a low credit line but they are very generous with credit line increases. Plus you will get a free FICO score every month after signing up for electronic billing.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 14
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

What are you looking for in a card? Travel, cash back?

Here's some links for cards to check for pre-approval. It doesn't harm your score, and can give you an idea of where you stand. Keep in mind, if you're not PA'd, doesn't always mean you don't qualify.

Amex

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/tools/25330?linknav=us-CCSG-ProspectNav-SpecialOffers...

Bank of America

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/customized-offers/find-customized-offer.go?subchannel=ECW...

Chase

https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/redes/index.php/chase_app/psonmarketplace.pl?jp_ltg=leftnav&OVERRIDE_CELL=...

Discover

https://www.discovercard.com/application/fmo?execution=e1s1

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 5 of 14
Firefox2014
Established Member

Thank you,  

I went ahead and jumped to apply for the Capital One Quicksilver MC, I received the 7-10 message, I will call the Recon # tomorrow and see where I stand on this app. 

Xsvspd , I'll go ahead and check the links during my lunch break tomorrow, I'll try to apply to at least I card that pulls from each bureau. cap one most likely pulled my EQ but I'll check tomorrow morning just to make sure. 

8/15/2023
Message 6 of 14
Firefox2014
Established Member

So this morning I went ahead and applied for the Chase Freedom Card, and was automatically approved for a CL of $2200.00 . It felt great getting and instant approval. Im about to call Cap One regarding the status of my app and will update on it. Waiting on Cap 1 to update on Transunion and apply for the Discover it. If approved this will be the cards I will stay with until my history and Fico score are good enough to apply for a mortgage.

8/15/2023
Message 7 of 14
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Do well with the Freedom and in six or so months go for the CSP. They make a great combo!
Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 8 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congrats on your new Freedom. With that TU score, I would definitely hit up a couple GE cards like Walmart and Amazon. They will grow very rapidly and propel you into higher limits! Good luck! Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I would also look into Walmart! They are generous with new credit and cli's are very easy to obtain. Also I don't know what your local area walmarts are offering but in Dallas TX with all walmart cards we get 15c off per gallon at walmart and sams gas stations! I PIF that every month so I don't worry about interest.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.