Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards to app for?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Which cards to app for?

I currently just opened up a dispute with the 3 bureaus so I'm going to wait until those close before I app, plus I'm waiting for my combined limit of Cap One posts to my reports.

Because of my recent closure of my QS to combine limits I am down to 2 cards now. I had requested a CLI with CAP 1 as well and the denial stated because I have too few active revolving credit cards. In the last 6 months I closed down Merrick, Credit One, and FP because they were useless to me, and also the Cap One to combine limits. So because of this I figured I need to open 1-2 cards max. I want to open useful ones and not a card just for the sake of opening a card. in 2017 my reports will be 100% clean with the exception of the BR.

Current cards (Both have been opened for just over 1 year): 

QS WMC - $11,5000 

Barclay Rewards - $2,000

TU Profile:

640 FICO

Inquiries - 5 (4 over a year old)

AAoA - 5 Years

Baddies - 1 BOA charge off (hopefully that'll get resolved in the dispute). 6 others are student loans to fall off in 2017

Utilization - 1% 

Last time since negative: 2.7 Years (Bankruptcy)

EQ Profile:

652 FICO

Inquiries - 5 (All are over a year old)

AAOA - 2.7 Years

Baddies - 1 BOA charge off (hopefully that'll get resolved in the dispute). 6 others are student loans to fall off in 2017

Utilization - 1%

EX Profile:

642 FICO

Inquries - 2 (Both are over a year old)

AAoA - 5.7 Years

Baddies - 6 Student loans to fall off in 2017

Utilization - 1%

Cards I'd really like to have:

Sallie Mae (Think it's the best shot out of this list)

Capital One Venture

Chase Marriott (I know there's no shot at this time)

Amex BCP (I know there's no shot at this time)

Anything I'd be open all ears. Thank you.

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards to app for?

Chase Freedom or Chase Amazon card and perhaps AMEX BCP/BCE are somewhat baddie friendly as long as they are old baddies.  Perhaps a Sallie Mae?  Delta AMEX is considered one of the easiest AMEX's to get and I suspect the Costco AMEX won't be too difficult.

Walmart as well if you shop at Walmart.

Discover is very unfriendly towards baddies as I could never get in with a tax lien showing.

App for those decent cards just to get in with the lenders.  Then apply for a Cap1 Venture and Quicksilver at the end of your spree as those are the most relaxed apps.  Venture/Quicksilver are actually fairly easy to get right now.

In 2017 when you are clean, you will have a nice profile and ready to be picky about cards.

Message 2 of 6
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Freedom or Chase Amazon card and perhaps AMEX BCP/BCE are somewhat baddie friendly as long as they are old baddies.  Perhaps a Sallie Mae?

Walmart as well if you shop at Walmart.

Discover is very unfriendly towards baddies as I could never get in with a tax lien showing.

App for those decent cards just to get in with the lenders.  Then apply for a Cap1 Venture and Quicksilver at the end of your spree as those are the most relaxed apps.

In 2017 when you are clean, you will have a nice profile and ready to be picky about cards.

Thanks for your post and your suggestions. I have thought about the Walmart but I don't really shop there a lot. The Chase Freedom would be interesting and the BCP. I did apply for discover over a year ago and was denied and I don't really like them after all the reading of really low starting limits and CLI requests.

I did forget to mention that BOA was the only major CC that was burned in the BR. I have no interest of getting back with them either Smiley Happy

Part of me just wants to wait until 2017 but I've applied for a CLI with Cap One on a few occasions and never was denied because I have too few revolving accounts. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 6
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

My fico's took a little 8 point jump since the latest renewel with CCT. Any other ideas?

Personal:

Business:

Message 4 of 6
happypill
Valued Contributor

Capital One will approve you for the Venture if you've put a lot of spend through the QS that you have, even if your scores are kind of low.  Capital One will definitely look at their relationship with you.

I think Barclays will as well, so if you've been putting a lot of spend through the rewards card, you could have a shot at the SM.  You might need to be prepared to recon.

Message 5 of 6
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

Capital One will approve you for the Venture if you've put a lot of spend through the QS that you have, even if your scores are kind of low.  Capital One will definitely look at their relationship with you.

I think Barclays will as well, so if you've been putting a lot of spend through the rewards card, you could have a shot at the SM.  You might need to be prepared to recon.

Yes I've spent in access of $20,000 through the QS in the last year. I haven't spent that much through the rewards, probably $6K or so. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.