Did you mean: 

Which cards to close?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Which cards to close?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
That's true myj.
I just called and tried to xfer my anf limit over to my mypoints.com Visa limit. They don't do that lol
So I closed my anf card.
I will wait until those report to do anything else.

Bravo

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 31 of 67
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

Paypal Extras Plat MC $20k | Lowe's $12k | Amex BCE $24.5K | Amex Delta Gold $5.5k | WMT Discover $10k | Ban Repub Visa $10k | Dillard's $10k | Travelocity Amex $7.7k | JCP $6.5K | Smile Gen $6.25k - leave open | Freedom Visa $5k | Citi Dia Pref $5k - lender closed right? | Venture Visa Signature $5k | Discover IT $4.75k | Amazon Store $10k | ANFitch $2.95k | Express $3.05K | Chevron $2.1k | Orchard Gold $1.7k | MyPoints Visa $2.5k - new

My thoughts on the subjectSmiley Wink

Then just CHILL for 6 months and see who auto CLI's

Just some thoughts on reducing the overall exposure/CLs.  However, only recommended to do gradually as utilization tapers off - you decide what's best for you. 

There is really no point in having high CLs for tradelines that are not used to maximize any given benefits/perks with the overall credit capacity (now, if you spent $5K-$7K at BR or $6K-$8K on PayPal routinely, then that's a different story).  So, as far as revolving TLs, excluding the Citi DP tradeline and those others that myjourney slashed, there should remain about 15 active revolving accounts, and the average CL should be roughly above $9K +/-.  Again, just a suggestion and you could play any different scenarios over time to see how different factors would work or help in the long term :-)

Message 32 of 67
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I know that was hard but in the end it'll feel like you dropped that elusive 10 lbs! You've done enough for right now- just let the dust settle.
Message 33 of 67
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
That's true myj.
I just called and tried to xfer my anf limit over to my mypoints.com Visa limit. They don't do that lol
So I closed my anf card.
I will wait until those report to do anything else.

Yes, just hang tight until you see the gradual impact on scores/overall credit picture and then decide the best course of action as the utilization/debt tapers off.  Small steps are the way to go.  What you are doing is very commendable given the overall scheme of things.  This will be of great benefit in the long term for sure!

Message 34 of 67
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
I know that was hard but in the end it'll feel like you dropped that elusive 10 lbs! You've done enough for right now- just let the dust settle.

+1

I would concur with 09Lexie.  She's like the Oracle from the Matrix...lol.

Message 35 of 67
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

How often do you check your scores? It would be a great case analysis to see what your score does from here after these changes.

Message 36 of 67
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 37 of 67
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I personally think you have too much credit with General Electric. Asyou can see, they are the only ones that have given you high limits, besdies American Express. From what others have said, the Walmart Discover has a bad reward structure, so I would lower that limit to maybe 5000. The PayPal one I would lower aswell, since the rewards on that aren't the best either. I know you seem to think you need these high limit cards to get high limits with others, but you don't. Banana Republic seems too high for just a store aswell; I know you can use it anywhere, but the rewards are again not that great.

Message 38 of 67
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

The rewards on the Walmart card are truly sad. I would rather use even a 1% card. But since I don't shop there often, the times I do I'll have to use the card to keep it active. 

Message 39 of 67
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, I do not want to cut some of my highest limits.
I def want to keep the $25k Paypal MC as I prob charge 2-5k a year on this so far. I could lower Lowe's to $10,000, maybe even further if need be; I barely use this account. I do use my Wmt Discover to the tune of 400-500 a month, so my $15k is usable. I also want to keep my BR Visa limit at $12.5k at least.
All just considerations of course. I really value the suggestions everyone! This will def be a process.
I do use CK, Quizzle, Experian PLUS, and Credit Sesame- as well as credit.com haha- none of those really matter. I have myFICO eq and I want to get my true Exp FICO soon! So I do keep track of my score!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.