Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards to close?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which cards to close?

There is a list of common abbreviations that the forum has posted on a sticky.
Message 61 of 67
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CashOnDelivery wrote:
I believe DS= Dear son...

So what happens in the (extremely unlikely of course) case that you really don't like your wife/husband/son/daughter/sister/brother/domestic partner?

Something like PITA H, or just don't use acronyms and go "my so-called husband" or something?   Or I guess "DH" could be used ironically but how would we know?

Or maybe everyone here loves and is loved by all...

I agree. Maybe we need to get the list admended. Along with my other suggestions of DS in case of future use. Smiley Happy

Message 62 of 67
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yes@longtime lurker!
"Everyone here loves and is loved by all"

I like the PITA one haha. Use it all the time.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 63 of 67
enharu
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Well, I do not want to cut some of my highest limits.
I def want to keep the $25k Paypal MC as I prob charge 2-5k a year on this so far. I could lower Lowe's to $10,000, maybe even further if need be; I barely use this account. I do use my Wmt Discover to the tune of 400-500 a month, so my $15k is usable. I also want to keep my BR Visa limit at $12.5k at least.
All just considerations of course. I really value the suggestions everyone! This will def be a process.
I do use CK, Quizzle, Experian PLUS, and Credit Sesame- as well as credit.com haha- none of those really matter. I have myFICO eq and I want to get my true Exp FICO soon! So I do keep track of my score!

Do you shop a lot on ebay or using paypal? Do they offer some form of rewards which your Freedom or BCE, or the CSP that you are planning to get, cannot beat?

Lowes I can see the reason behind keeping it and keeping the CL as high as possible. You might buy a house someday and then that card might be useful since they have 24 (or was it 36?) months 0% APR. 

You don't really need smilegen either. Your freedom has 0% APR until September 2014, no? Besides, you can PC your freedom to a MC next year, and then re-apply for a new Freedom visa if you have to churn out another 0% APR. There are many rewards cards with 0% APR promo.

Paypal Extras Plat MC $25k $10k | Lowe's $15k | Amex BCE $24.5K | Amex Delta Gold $5.5k | WMT Discover $15k $10k | Ban Repub Visa $14k | Dillard's $10k | Travelocity Amex $7.7k | JCP $6.5K $3k | Smile Gen $6.25k | Freedom Visa $5k(ask for CLI to 15k and have them counter u) | Citi Dia Pref $5k | Venture Visa Signature $5k (ask for CLI to 10k) | Discover IT $4.75k (ask for CLI to 10k and let them counter you with whatever) | Amazon Store $10k | Express $3.05K | Chevron $2.1k

This is what I would do if I were you. Why not put your JCP and retail stores shopping expenses on Discover / Freedom? There's shopdiscover / ultimate rewards mall where you can get discounts too.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 64 of 67
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Well, I do not want to cut some of my highest limits.
I def want to keep the $25k Paypal MC as I prob charge 2-5k a year on this so far. I could lower Lowe's to $10,000, maybe even further if need be; I barely use this account. I do use my Wmt Discover to the tune of 400-500 a month, so my $15k is usable. I also want to keep my BR Visa limit at $12.5k at least.
All just considerations of course. I really value the suggestions everyone! This will def be a process.
I do use CK, Quizzle, Experian PLUS, and Credit Sesame- as well as credit.com haha- none of those really matter. I have myFICO eq and I want to get my true Exp FICO soon! So I do keep track of my score!

Do you shop a lot on ebay or using paypal? Do they offer some form of rewards which your Freedom or BCE, or the CSP that you are planning to get, cannot beat?

Lowes I can see the reason behind keeping it and keeping the CL as high as possible. You might buy a house someday and then that card might be useful since they have 24 (or was it 36?) months 0% APR. 

You don't really need smilegen either. Your freedom has 0% APR until September 2014, no? Besides, you can PC your freedom to a MC next year, and then re-apply for a new Freedom visa if you have to churn out another 0% APR. There are many rewards cards with 0% APR promo.

Paypal Extras Plat MC $25k $10k | Lowe's $15k | Amex BCE $24.5K | Amex Delta Gold $5.5k | WMT Discover $15k $10k | Ban Repub Visa $14k | Dillard's $10k | Travelocity Amex $7.7k | JCP $6.5K $3k | Smile Gen $6.25k | Freedom Visa $5k(ask for CLI to 15k and have them counter u) | Citi Dia Pref $5k | Venture Visa Signature $5k (ask for CLI to 10k) | Discover IT $4.75k (ask for CLI to 10k and let them counter you with whatever) | Amazon Store $10k | Express $3.05K | Chevron $2.1k

This is what I would do if I were you. Why not put your JCP and retail stores shopping expenses on Discover / Freedom? There's shopdiscover / ultimate rewards mall where you can get discounts too.

All very valid points enharu.  I believe there are several scenarios that could play out well for young in the long run to achieve a good strategy.  Admittedly, he may be hesitant to decrease the exposure on those GECRB CLs for sometime...there's emotion attached on them...lol.  Plus, here's what I'm thinking how he may respond to your post :-)

Message 65 of 67
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@FinStar

Good one!

@ youngandcreditwrthy

the thing with GE is you can get the CL back with a few calls and they are SP's . I'd drop those GE CLI's ( slowly of course) and see how the others respond to your request.
Message 66 of 67
enharu
Super Contributor

Lol yea, I know I was recommending him to cut a lot of CLs and cards. I don't mean to do it all at once though. It could be done over a 6-12 month period.

Maybe I'm biased, but I very much rather have a 25k CL CSP or freedom than a 25k Paypal card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.