Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards to close?

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Which cards to close?

I have seven credit cards. I'd rather have just five.

Now I know a lot of you here juggle far more cards than that. I also know that the conventional wisdom is that  you don't close cards unless they have AFs and none of mine do. Nevertheless, I want to close two of my seven. I'm going to do it. I'm just not sure which ones and I'd like the help of wise MyFicoers.

Here are the cards. Which should I close and WHY?

THESE TWO I'M ABSOLUTELY KEEPING.

They are my go-to cards because of their rewards and low interest rates and my long happy relationship with Discover.

Discover IT, CL $11,000 (20 years)

Barclay Sallie Mae MC, CL $2,400 (9 months)

THESE FIVE ARE UP FOR GRABS.

CapitalOne VentureOne, CL $10,000 (1 year)

Pro: Whopping big CL; occasional BT checks with great terms

Con: I don't have much need for a travel card and don't use its regular benefits to the max

Chase Amazon Visa, CL $1,700 (4 years)

Pro: Constantly getting BT checks with great terms; prime card and one of my oldest

Con: No CLI ever; I have better Amazon and gas cards, can't get much use out of those great BTs with such a low CL

Amazon store card, CL $4,000 (1 year)

Pro: Zero percent financing on large Amazon purchases; great GE CLIs

Con: Not much use other than those two pros; I mostly buy only small stuff from Amazon

Walmart Discover, CL $2,650 (1 year)

Pro: TU FICO (except I'll soon get that from Sallie Mae); GE luv

Con: No perks, really no use for it

Amex BCE, CL $4,500 (9 months)

Pro: OMG, it's Amex! Also potential for 3x CLIs (though I don't make enough money to go very high)

Con: It's a gas/groceries card and Sallie Mae is better for me; I rarely use it except when they have an appealing offer

You see, until I discovered MyFico, I had only two cards, and that's about all I ever needed or wanted. The rest have all been a result of the eeeeeevil temptations you guys have dragged me into. Some are good, but I feel burdened by seven; help me slash the weight!

Current util is about 12 percent, all on Discover, just in case anybody's thinking about what closing these would do to my util.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which cards to close?

All your util is on Discover but closing Cap 1 will raise your total util.

If you are going to close two, I say ax the Wal/Discover and Amazon Card .You are getting better terms on your reg Discover . The Amazon Card is only worth keeping if you do tons of shopping on Amazon.

If the Amex isn't working for you, I'd PC it to another card but I think it can work well with your SallieMae.

Edit Visa s/b store card
Message 2 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just interested why "two"?  Because 5 is the number you are happy with?  I would go with close those that are of no use to you either now or potentially, and I agree with Lexie that Walmart and Amazon probably fit that the best.

But.... I would be reluctant to close a Chase card without having another, as it is quite likely that one day you will want a particular card from them.   While the Amazon card is hard/impossible to PC (I tried!) the credit limit can be used to transfer to another card, or during recon, getting a card approved.  Now the CL is very low, so maybe not important

Message 3 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Oops, I meant to say, Amazon Store card. Longtimelurker is correct, keep the Chase Amazon
Message 4 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'll cast another vote for the Walmart Discover card.

I don't really understand the differences in the benefits of the two Amazon cards as I don't have either card, but if you have to close two, I'd probably pick one of those for the second one.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 19
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Close the Amazon store card and the Walmart Discover.

The Amex will definitely grow if you request soft pull CLIs and in a couple you can get another one for the backdating. And you can always get a CLI on the Amazon Visa (it will cost you a HP, so shoot for the sky. Besides, HPs are not the end of the world)

Message 6 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thanks, all.

I was thinking Walmart Discover would be one to  dump, so thanks for confirming that. That will probably be one of the two. I'm still unsure about the other.

Lexie, when you said Amazon card, I automatically thought you meant the Visa, and it was almost as if you were reading my mind because that's what I've been leaning toward as the second one to go with that crappy CL and no increases, except that it's Chase and counts as one of the prime ones.

Closing the Walmart and Amazon store cards do make sense except that it would feel strange to give up both those good GE luv cards.

Longtimelurker, yeah, five is just the number that feels right to me. I'd have a hard time explaining my reasons. Mainly seven just feels like too many.

Message 7 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I understand that you feel five is the best number for you.  It's just I would think of that as an end-state (you will have the 5 perfect cards for you) so it might make sense to reduce now to 2 say, if you have several cards that aren't "right".  But I think dropping two is a good approach, looks like we all agree on the Walmart Discover going.   Just is it Amazon Store or Amazon Visa!

Message 8 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Gunnar

I corrected my post to clarify Amazon Store. I like the ability to use 'store' cards outside of the store. The Amazon being backed by Chase is worth keeping IMO
Message 9 of 19
Luscher
Valued Contributor

i vote amazon store card as 1 to get rid of. I like the rest of your portfolio
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.