cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards to target after 6 months of credit history?

tag
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Which cards to target after 6 months of credit history?

So hypothetically if I charged 499.00 of my 500.00 limit and immediately paid it off before the statement cut then that would be my utilization for the month that is reported?

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 11 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@espnjunkie wrote:

If that's the case it's kind of rediculous. You should not be punished for paying ahead and have to report a balance to build credit. Some months I let a small amount report, so if my balances are averaged across months I have probably a 5 or 6% utilization. Hope the zero balance doesn't count against me

It does seem backwards but that's the system right now.

But remember that reporting a balance does not mean ever paying interest. You can have just $1 report and that's enough to show activity. Then just pay that $1 (or whatever the statement balance happens to be) before the due date.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 12 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@espnjunkie wrote:

So hypothetically if I charged 499.00 of my 500.00 limit and immediately paid it off before the statement cut then that would be my utilization for the month that is reported?

For most cards whatever the balance reported on your statement is the amount used to calculate utilization for that month.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes... you should be good to go with ZYNC and Forward.

My daughter, a college student with a good part time job,  got both at 6 months as well as a Discover More. She had to call the recon line for the Forward and More card. The Zync was instant approval. She also obtained a store card with VS at same time. 

I also think you should let a small balance report. I have a JTV card that I had 6 month interest free financing on. I paid it off before the 6 months and the card is still not reporting 2 months later. 

Companies do like to see some utility report. It is usually better than Zero. When you are under 10%, it shows that you can manage credit. 

Message 14 of 23
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Hmmm thanks for the advice, I did not know that letting a balance of zero report could actually 'hurt' you so to speak. I'm not too worried and will try to let a tiny bit report each month for now. If I have to recon for any of my applications I could always send them copies of my monthly statements and show that I in fact put a grand through the card a month but just kept making sure to pay in full several times a month. I know that Capital One does not really design their starter/rebuilder cards to graduate, but it would be nice if they took into account that I always pay on time, in full, and can clearly handle a much higher limit than they are giving me. While a 250.00 cli to 750.00 is something at least, it's crazy that they don't offer a more significant limit increase. Theycould probably keep more customers with them if they offered more generous limits instead of having everyone bail within a year.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 15 of 23
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Did your daughter just have one credit card before applying in six months like me? How similar was the situation?

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 16 of 23
castlefox
Regular Contributor

When I applied for that Citi Forward card I had some student loans that I had been paying down for like two years but they declined to give me credit because I did not have any current revolving credit. (I had a department store  CC closed on me due to lack of use)

If I were you I would first apply for that Zync card so you would be able to back date to 2012 years later if you wanted to and then apply for a CU card b/c of their generally lower APR rates and highter credit lines.  My first real CC came from a credit union and they gave me 1,000 to start and then bumped it up to 2,000 in 6months. 

You can check your credit report for the 3 agencies every year.  https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp    You could check on there later to see whatever balance they are reporting for whatever month.  

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 17 of 23
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Zync is my primary target right now. I want to get a foot in the door with AMEX and continue to build up my credit. The NPSL seems a bit confusing though, especially early on with the Zync. Without a limit provided how do you know how much you can spend per month without risking an embarrassing decline? I understand how they use your normal monthly spending as a guide, but what if you have one month with higher than normal spending for whatever reason? To be declined would be frustrating.

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

Did your daughter just have one credit card before applying in six months like me? How similar was the situation?

Yes...my daughter only had the Capital One Student Journey. They started her with 500 CL and is now at a 750 CL even though she no longer uses that card.

Not sure if I mentioned it...she also got Discover More at 6 months. 

She applied for the Discover More Student, but since she is at a community college, they would not approve her for that. The rep ended up giving her a regular More card with a 1000 CL.

This all happened last year. Cap1 in February. However,I recall she already had credit scores at 4 months. She applied for Zync and was approved. I am pretty sure that was around 4-5 months. She waited for AMEX to show up on her credit report, then at 6 months got More, Forward and VS.

Since her first CL was only $500 at the time with CAP1, I told her to only charge one thing, no more than $40 to keep her util under 10%, and let it report every month.

She now has 11 months history (only 5 months average age of accounts due to the extra cards), but she just applied for a prime credit card with AMEX (Hilton), and was approved! This should help her AAoA a bit. Keep in mind she primarily used her Zync card since she was approved. She is student so she does not charge a lot. Her Hilton card has not arrived yet. I don't know what her CL is, but I will ask her when she gets it so you have some idea when the time comes for you to apply for a credit product from AMEX after building history with them.

Everything has to age now. 

Message 19 of 23
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@espnjunkie wrote:

Yes...my daughter only had the Capital One Student Journey. They started her with 500 CL and is now at a 750 CL even though she no longer uses that card.

Not sure if I mentioned it...she also got Discover More at 6 months. 

She applied for the Discover More Student, but since she is at a community college, they would not approve her for that. The rep ended up giving her a regular More card with a 1000 CL.

This all happened last year. Cap1 in February. However,I recall she already had credit scores at 4 months. She applied for Zync and was approved. I am pretty sure that was around 4-5 months. She waited for AMEX to show up on her credit report, then at 6 months got More, Forward and VS.

Since her first CL was only $500 at the time with CAP1, I told her to only charge one thing, no more than $40 to keep her util under 10%, and let it report every month.

She now has 11 months history (only 5 months average age of accounts due to the extra cards), but she just applied for a prime credit card with AMEX (Hilton), and was approved! This should help her AAoA a bit. Keep in mind she primarily used her Zync card since she was approved. She is student so she does not charge a lot. Her Hilton card has not arrived yet. I don't know what her CL is, but I will ask her when she gets it so you have some idea when the time comes for you to apply for a credit product from AMEX after building history with them.

Everything has to age now. 

ur such a good mom

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.