cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cc lender(s) do you trust the most not to RJ during hard times?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Which cc lender(s) do you trust the most not to RJ during hard times?

Which cc lender(s) do you trust the most not to RJ your card(s) during hard times, such as when your FICO scores are lower than average?

For me, it would be 2 issuers:  BoA and Cap1.  They never RJ'd me, even when my FICO scores were in or around the mid-600's.  Every other single bank cc lender I can think of -- not counting of course the new CU cc accounts I recently acquired -- have RJ'd me over the years, including Citi, Chase, Discover, etc.  (I never had any lates or baddies ever, I just used to formerly have high revolving util.)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cc lender(s) do you trust the most not to RJ during hard times?

Sorry, what is 'RJ'?
Message 2 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, what is 'RJ'?

No problem Smiley Happy "RJ" = shorthand for "rate jack".

Message 3 of 13
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

All of them since the rules of the road are to PIF as soon as possible.  Then it doesn't matter what they post for an APR on the account.  And you get a better score in the process Smiley Happy

If you're truly worried about it though CU's are usually capped at 18% APR which translates to 1.5%/month.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rates didn't go up but BOA was actually the first to start balance chasing me back in 09 when times got hard.   But I do agree cap1 is usually pretty good as long as you are keeping them up to date.  

Message 5 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Rate jacking isn't usually something that happens from the lender. It usually has more to do with the prime rate. Most lenders don't randomly go "OK, you were at 8%,now you're at 28%"

If we're talking penalty rates for late payments or returned payments, that is a different story, but usually one you can talk through with a csr. (unless it is a regular repeated behavior)
Message 6 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Those who have been on here for a while will know that in other threads/posts I've talked about how my own financial life has been quite the roller coaster the last 20+ years, so for better or worse I have a little personal experience with this question.  Smiley Happy

In the event of problems coming up, I would lean heavily on Capital One - hands-downSmiley Wink

I know if you look hard enough you'll find threads where they "misbehaved" as well (this is true for most any lender) but for me they have been solid as a rock during the good and the bad, and now the good again.  Never got a RJ, and never got CLD.  Smiley Very Happy

A close second would be Citi.  "Back in the day" when I had Citibank they were solid as well... I had a card with them maxed for literally years and they never flinched - as long as they got paid they were fine.  Also never got RJ.

Those would be my top-two to "take into battle", so to speak.  I have a few others that I believe would be OK (i.e. Discover) but I just don't have any personal data points to provide there.

I will add that I've read multiple threads on here where BoA and Chase took AA for various reasons, so if problems were to arise I would be especially careful to fly under the radar with them to keep unnecessary 'eyes' off my accounts.

While not a rate jack, I'll also add that if your TU ever takes a significant dive, there's a good chance Synchrony will balance chase you until you get to a credit line they're comfortable with.  During the recession I lost my job (and house, and car) and of course my scores plummeted.  My Lowe's card had a credit line of $1200 (+/-) and they started balance-chasing me until my limit was $470.  (I've seen Synchrony balance chase relatives as well, so I have multiple data points on this.)  Of course their 'normal' APR is already high, so unless you default/pay late I would be shocked to hear of them doing a RJ.  During this time I had gone out of my way to make sure Lowe's was always kept current (even when others weren't) so this was especially discouraging, and I almost closed it out of spite; instead I put it in the SD for a few years (literally).  I'm glad now that I didn't cut them loose... it's now my oldest account (12.5 years) and has a credit line of $20k. 

I know we all have unique experiences and my own might vary from others on here... I'm only sharing to provide data points, and my results might be quite different from someone else in the same situation either in the past, now or in the future.  (I need to put that disclaimer in my signature... LOL)

Message 7 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Rate jacking isn't usually something that happens from the lender. It usually has more to do with the prime rate. Most lenders don't randomly go "OK, you were at 8%,now you're at 28%"

If we're talking penalty rates for late payments or returned payments, that is a different story, but usually one you can talk through with a csr. (unless it is a regular repeated behavior)

This is a good point... these days, when I hear of AA it's usually CLD or the account is simply closed, but the rate usually doesn't change unless there's a default or late payment.

At one time the rate jack was a very-real thing... I can recall being RJ'd by MBNA back in the late 90s (not late, no default); I had the choice to accept the new rate or close my account with the old terms.  Fun times...  Smiley Frustrated

Thankfully that doesn't seem to be a "thing" as much these days... the language in the CARD act makes it harder for them to do anything they want like they once did.

Message 8 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

All true and good points -- although variable-rate APRs can still theoretically have their index that's added to the prime rate increased.  That happened to me with my then-Chase Platinum MC around 2002 or thereabouts, where Chase RJ'd the card that I had at that time had an APR of Prime+1.65% (I think the rate was something like 6.15% V back then) much higher; so long ago though that I can't recall the new rate, which I declined and had the card closed out at the pre-RJ APR.  Also fixed-rate cards can be rate jacked as well.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Off the top of my head, AMEX is probably the most notorious.

We used them pretty heavily for our company travel expenses (we're a service company and at any given time we have 20-30 guys on the road) and right around 2008 they started pulling WAY back.

Basically shut us down unless we would pay our balance down below $50k total (we were routinely running balances of over 100k every month) and limited our spending power thereafter.  Actually caused us to shift to a BoA MC for our corporate spending:  we still have the AMEX, but don't use it as much.  I use mine more than most, but I'm farily high up in the company and no one really gives me any **bleep** about it).

On a personal note, Chase has always been pretty good - I had a couple years where I was running balances close to my CLs on two cards - always paid on time and they never hassled me.  Never gave me a CLI either, but they at least left me alone.

My Amex Plat has a "pay over time" feature that I'm skeptical of but keep it in case of emergencies:  they are very clear on that one, if you don't pay the minimum your interest rate will go sky-high (like 29%).  And it only takes one late payment.

If you are worried about this, I would suggest getting a card from a bank that you have a relationship with (checking account, direct deposit, car loan, personal loan, mortgage) in order to make them more comfortable with you.  Credit unions are great for this:  NFCU, Penfed, NASA are all good choices.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.