cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit card should I apply for as my second?

tag
eviLution
Established Contributor

Which credit card should I apply for as my second?

I'm about to get my 5th statement from Capital One and I'm thinking about getting a second card to help build with cash rewards. My CK score is 710 and my Vantage Score on CK is currently 691. My Credit Sesame score is 656.

I know the fako scores don't mean much, but it at least gives me an idea until I can get my fico scores after getting 6 month of credit history since I have a thin file at the moment.

I've always PIF with my current secured card and I just recently increased my cl from 500 to 600. I plan to increase it to at least 1.5k before I get my 12th statement.

I'm thinking about trying for Walmart or Discover More once I hit 6 months. Should I?

I only have 1 revolving account on my cr, no baddies, and no loans.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Which credit card should I apply for as my second?

Walmart is a good card that grows nicely. I would go that route, perhaps an Amex card?

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 5
eviLution
Established Contributor

I'll probably go the Walmart and Discover route since I hear it's easier to get approved for. I would love to get the Amex BCE as it is a future goal, but I'm gonna wait to build up at least 1.5-2 years of credit history first.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eviLution wrote:

I'll probably go the Walmart and Discover route since I hear it's easier to get approved for. I would love to get the Amex BCE as it is a future goal, but I'm gonna wait to build up at least 1.5-2 years of credit history first.

You might want to consider an open enrollment credit union such as Digital Credit Union which offers a free FICO score. Credit unions generally have lower APRs and can be generous with credit limits i.e. Pentagon FCU and Navy FCU.

Good luck shopping.

Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wal mart and discover are both fairly generous to newcomers. Also I agree with looking at a credit union such as DCU, Alliant etc...

If you have military affiliations join usaa or navy federal... Both are excellent in my opinion.

Best of luck to you!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.