cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit card should I apply for?

tag
maurita
Valued Member

Re: Which credit card should I apply for?

Just wanted to thank everyone who offered advice....

I also wanted to give you guys an update. I went ahead and applied for Discover It Card.They said they had to further review my application.

That I would hear from them within 5-7 days. So I thought it was surely a Denial... Lo and behold I receive a call from them yesterday evening.

They wanted to verify some of my info and the representative said she would be able to offer me a $1500 credit limit. I know it doesn't sound like much compared to the limits many of you have but, I figure at least its a start. I also went and applied for Capital One Quick Silver and got approved for $300.

Now I have a few more questions. I would like to purchase a house within the next 8-12 months. Do you guys think that 2 active revolving accounts is enough activity or do I need to apply for a couple more credit cards and if so what does everyone suggest? Do I apply now or wait a few more months?

I also currently have 3 inquiries. Would it hurt more score tremendously if I try for an additional card?

Like I said my main objective for building my credit score higher is to be approved for a mortgage.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: EX 770 EQ 775 TU 794
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 17
maurita
Valued Member

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: EX 770 EQ 775 TU 794
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 17
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your excellent approvals! Discover is a good card to start with. With the up coming mortgage app- you should be okay with the current tradelines. I think if you garden these- you're going to see you FICO really shoot up. Use the cards- don't run up high balances and let them report before you app the mortgage. Best of luck to you and Congrats again! After the mortgage- re-access your spending habits and go for some more rewards cards that will benefit you!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on both approvals! You have more than enough TLs for a mtg app. As improvingmycredit said, garden your new cc's and keep your balances low
Best of luck!
Message 14 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear it all went well. Congrats!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 15 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats, your limit is a good starting point and enough TL's to build your file for homeownership

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 17
GulfWalker62

1st off, congrats !!!!!  Over 200-pts per account in the past 12-months, would love for you to share with us all what you decide to do, and the outcomes. Your going to get alot of help, as the folks around here all seem to take care of each other and in regards to the sensitivity of the topic on most of our minds we all can relate to each other's accomplishments & set backs. We all have big hearts, and caring hearts and its obvious that when one of us has success, everyone cheer's and shares in the excitement. It reminds me of when a close friend of ours was on a waiting list for a Heart transplant, and there was a small group of about 10-familes who spent days, weeks, month's spending time together in the ICU waiting room, and when there was a match, everyone cheered for that individual & their family, and when one's wait exceeded there health's limits, everyone shared in the loss as if it was their family member that was taken. I feel that sense here at MyFico, for this community is made up of a population of some very caring & special people, and I am just honored to be in their company.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.